What are your prefered sound absorption materials?

How to use REW, What is a Bass Trap, a diffuser, the speed of sound, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

BurningHalo93

What are your prefered sound absorption materials?

Post by BurningHalo93 »

Hi all! First post here.

I'm trying to get together some plans to build some bass traps for my "studio" and I'm a little overwhelmed by the amount of choices there are as far as insulation goes. The best option for me right now would either Rockwool safe and sound or comfortbatt or Owens Corning Termafiber Fire and Sound just because they are readily available at my local stores and are relatively cheap. I've also looked for places to find Ultratouch but can't find a place close enough to where I don't have to pay a stupid amount for shipping.

Just wanted to know if anyone had opinions on these materials or knew of any better (but hopefully not too much more expensive) options.

Thanks in advance guys!
Gregwor

Re: What are your prefered sound absorption materials?

Post by Gregwor »

That cheaper local insulation would work just fine!

Greg
It appears that you've made the mistake most people do. You started building without consulting this forum.
Paulus87

Re: What are your prefered sound absorption materials?

Post by Paulus87 »

What Greg said^

For porous traps at a thickness over 100mm I would recommend NOT using Rockwool (or similar semi-rigid insulation) but using low density cheap insulation. Dense Rockwool becomes reflective to low frequency above 100mm, so use the cheap low density stuff for thicknesses up to about 400mm - 600mm. Above that thickness and even the cheap fluffy insulation will start to become reflective to very low frequency, so if you go much thicker then you really should start using wave guide absorbers, or at least incorporate some air gaps into your traps.

If you know the gas flow resistivity of the insulation products you want to use then you can compare them at different thicknesses using this calculator:
http://www.acousticmodelling.com/8layer ... 82CulDpJMM

To give you a start, cheap low density attic batt type insulation is between 4000-5000 rayls, Rockwool is about 25000rayls.

A nice combination is using 25mm of rigid Rockwool closest to the wall (rigid backing) with 400 - 600mm of light fluffy in front, then use a 12mm Dacron wadding in front of that before you cover with your fabric.

Have fun experimenting!
Paul
Paul