Triple leaf window

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

howiedrum

Triple leaf window

Post by howiedrum »

Hi Folks. Well it was a frustrating day. My builder unpacked my two 5/8 laminated windows from soundproof windows.com and discovered that neither of them had weep holes in the tracks. He called the company and they said they only make interior windows and cautioned him not to put one in the exterior because they could leak and rust. They cost me $3,000 and they don't take returns. I am 99% sure I asked if their windows were ok for both exterior and interior walls but I have no documentation because we did the deal over the phone at the end of January.

Their proposed solution is to add a regular vinyl window in my exterior 2x6 frame, facing the outside world, followed by the two laminated windows, one sharing the 2x6 frame and the other in the 2x4 frame. My builder said there would be just over six inches between the two laminated windows. Of course that means a triple leaf window. How much isolation will I lose by employing this method?

I am going to call customer service tomorrow and see what my options are. It may be possible that they could send a different track/frame for one of the windows. The salesman mentioned that I may be able to use a window sealing tape. What do you think I should do?

Thank you,

Howie
xSpace

Re: Triple leaf window

Post by xSpace »

howiedrum wrote:Their proposed solution is to add a regular vinyl window in my exterior 2x6 frame, facing the outside world, followed by the two laminated windows, one sha ring the 2x6 frame and the other in the 2x4 frame. My builder said there would be just over six inches between the two laminated windows. Of course that means a triple leaf window.

Howie

I would have to see a drawing to understand what we are talking about. From my position we are referring to a potential 5 or 6 leaf.

Anyway if you mount the laminated window to the interior framing this is a good start. Then on the farthest most outside part of the exterior wall you get a SINGLE glazed window or build one, either way.