Side by side doors

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

Aaberg

Side by side doors

Post by Aaberg »

Does anyone have any ideas about soundproofing side by side doors?
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Meaning 1 set of double doors, like french doors but without glass? Haven't done it (yet) but the physics is the same - you would need two separate sets of these separated by a sound lock to get much isolation; heavy hinges, high mass, good seals, and quite a bit of cash... Steve
Aaberg

Side by side doors

Post by Aaberg »

Right...like French doors. I understand the basics of "soundproof" doors, but don't know how the juncture of the two doors would be treated. Do you know what I mean? Magnetic strip, neoprene, ????...I can't envision it, although I got a quote for a pair with STC of 50, by Ambico for around $2500, a bit rich for my blood! In line with that, what if I put in 2 sets of sliding glass doors? What is the best STC I could hope for?
Thanks.
Innovations

Post by Innovations »

It depends on the hardware. The most typical double doors has a strip called a transom that is attached to the door that must be opened first (or second depending which side it is on). The door that must be opened second usually has sliding surface bolts floor and ceiling.

The more expensive hardware has a vertical rod, either internal or external, that runs the height of the door and inserts into the head and/or sill. This is more expensive but allows either door to be opened first.

The former is easier to seal since you have the surface of the transom to seal against.
Aaberg

Side by side doors

Post by Aaberg »

Thanks, Innova. It's looking as though this set of doors will cost anywhere from $1500 to $2500. Yikes.
I'm also trying to solve the control room to piano room door problem. One thought was to use a sidelight and one door for a 6 foot wide space.
Double them up , of course. My thinking was that the sidelight would provide better insulation than part of a sliding door, but I don't know.
Innovations

Post by Innovations »

if the reason that you are thinking about double doors is to be able to get a piano in and out, which I am presuming will not be very often at all, then there is another choice, and that is a removable center stile. Sure it takes a few minutes to unbolt and remove it, but it is an infrequent need. But a simpler approach would be to have only one normally openable side, the other having sliding surface bolts top and bottom, and transoms on both doors to get extra contact surface for rubber seals.