Should I care about soundproofing ceiling of detached garage

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

Guitylerham

Should I care about soundproofing ceiling of detached garage

Post by Guitylerham »

Howdy,

Planning to build a studio out in a detached garage with the intent of minimizing noise for neighbors. Do single-story and even two-story neighbors hear the sound coming out of the top of our garage studios? Is it worth the effort of really soundproofing my ceiling?
Thank you for any thoughts you might have on this. I tried searching several keywords but couldn't find this exact question asked before...
Gregwor

Re: Should I care about soundproofing ceiling of detached ga

Post by Gregwor »

Welcome,

Please completely fill out your profile as per the forum rules.
Is it worth the effort of really soundproofing my ceiling?
You may not have had much luck with the search feature on the forum if you used the term "soundproofing" at all. We don't really ever use that term here because it implies that we can achieve silence and that's physically impossible. Instead we use the terms such as transmission loss, isolation and insertion loss.

In order to achieve appropriate amounts of isolation to not bother your neighbors, first off you need to determine how loud your sources are going to be in your room. If you're recording an autoharp you probably don't need much isolation. If you're recording a metal drummer on an acoustic kit, you will need a lot of isolation.

Minimal isolation can be achieved by just beefing up your existing sheathing. A lot of isolation (think drum kit volumes) typically requires a room in a room construction. There is a calculator on the forum that can help you determine both the material you need as well as the gap between the outer and inner room in order to achieve your desired level of isolation.

Just like if you unroll the window in your car while listening to the stereo, all of a sudden the sound escapes. So, yes you need to make sure that every square inch of your place has at least the minimum required surface density to provide the isolation you need. And, like the window in your car, it needs to be sealed air tight --- that's where HVAC and insertion loss comes into the picture.

Greg
It appears that you've made the mistake most people do. You started building without consulting this forum.