Cleats vs glue to external sheeting?

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

Mastiff

Cleats vs glue to external sheeting?

Post by Mastiff »

I need to beef up an exterior wall, so my plan is to insert drywall between the studs up against the exterior sheeting. I believe the recommendation among people around here is to only press the drywall up against the exterior sheeting, hold in place with cleats if necessary and then caulk all the seams. Is it bad, acoustically, to glue the drywall to the exterior sheeting with construction adhesive (or green glue, though I know it's not glue in the same sense)? Or is it just a practical consideration to allow exterior sheeting to be removed in the future?
Gregwor

Re: Cleats vs glue to external sheeting?

Post by Gregwor »

You could totally glue it and it would work. But, it won't work as well as using Green Glue Compound and cleats. Check out Green Glue's website to see the benefits of Green Glue.

Also, I recommend caulking all the joints before putting up the drywall. Then, of course, caulk the joints after the drywall has been installed.

Tip: Install the cleats, then caulk the drywall but don't caulk around the cleat. Let that dry for a few days. Then, move the cleats over like 6 inches or whatever so that they are screwed in over an area that is already caulked. Then, caulk the spots where the cleats were. This will ensure a complete seal around the drywall.

Greg
It appears that you've made the mistake most people do. You started building without consulting this forum.
Mastiff

Re: Cleats vs glue to external sheeting?

Post by Mastiff »

Gregwor wrote:You could totally glue it and it would work. But, it won't work as well as using Green Glue Compound and cleats. Check out Green Glue's website to see the benefits of Green Glue.

Also, I recommend caulking all the joints before putting up the drywall. Then, of course, caulk the joints after the drywall has been installed.

Tip: Install the cleats, then caulk the drywall but don't caulk around the cleat. Let that dry for a few days. Then, move the cleats over like 6 inches or whatever so that they are screwed in over an area that is already caulked. Then, caulk the spots where the cleats were. This will ensure a complete seal around the drywall.

Greg
Thanks. My thinking was that Green Glue won't make much difference on little strips of drywall no more than a few feet wide. If money were no object I'd do it anyway, but it'd be something like $700. I'll be using it for the inside room on all walls and ceiling.

Good idea on the cleats..