Resonance of single leaf assemblies

How to use REW, What is a Bass Trap, a diffuser, the speed of sound, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

HermanDio

Resonance of single leaf assemblies

Post by HermanDio »

When you type in 'drywall resonance' in Google, 99% of the results are about mass-spring-mass systems - drywall panels separated by an air gap. I think I understand the acoustical phenomenon happening here and why it's important to keep it in mind.

But I can't find a lot of information regarding resonances of just single panels. Isn't this an issue? I'm getting drywall panels and also found fiber-reinforced panels that are more durable (but I think also stiffer) and am wondering what to choose.
HermanDio

Re: Resonance of single leaf assemblies

Post by HermanDio »

I went to the local building supplies store and got the idea to tap some drywall panels and video the resulting vibrations. Both the €4/panel Gyproc and the €16/panel Habito (glass fiber-reinforced drywall, so much sturdier) had primary resonances of around 6 Hz. This is for 1200 * 600mm panels. So below what is acoustically relevant, half a panel should have a primary resonance of 12 Hz, and a quarter panel 24 Hz. But the smaller you make them, the thicker the panel is in relation to its width so it will be harder to get the panel to move. I think I'll be fine using the sturdy panels for my project which is good news!

I also read Wyle WR 73, 'study of techniques to increase sound insulation of building elements', which said on page 10:

"There are in fact a number of panel resonances at frequencies greater than Fr, however, these are not normally evident in the measured values of transmission losses due to the effects of internal damping."
"(...) this resonance occurs at very low frequencies - 10 Hz is typical for lightweight panels (...)"
John Sayers
Site Admin

Re: Resonance of single leaf assemblies

Post by John Sayers »

The resonances will change when you nail the drywall to a timber frame.
I recommend fire rated drywall as it has more mass.

cheers
john
John Sayers Productions

If this site helps you build your studio please use the Donate button.