MSM Transmission Loss Calculator *Version 2.05*

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

Gregwor

MSM Transmission Loss Calculator *Version 2.05*

Post by Gregwor »

I'm excited to release Version 2 of the MSM Transmission Loss Calculator.

I initially made version 1 in order to type in different surface densities and gaps to quickly see how they would perform. It still required some math, general construction knowledge, and to top it off, reading the results was a bit tedious. I got tons of private messages asking how to use the calculator and even with more instructions added to the spreadsheet, the messages continued to flow in. I wasn't handy enough at Excel to implement what I had envisioned for version 2.

Chris (audiomutt here on the forum) reached out and offered his crazy spreadsheet skills. Google drive allowed us to work together from each end of North America to fine tune the spreadsheet into an awesome version 2!

So, big shout out to Chris! We hope this will be a great tool for designing your rooms!

MSM Transmission Loss Calculator Version 2.05

Version 2.04 fixed a few issues with the calculators formulas so be sure to stop using 2.03.

Note: To use the sheet you need a Google account. Click "File" and then "Make a copy" to add it to your Google Drive. This will allow you to enter values into the sheet!

Greg
Last edited by Gregwor on Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
It appears that you've made the mistake most people do. You started building without consulting this forum.
Gregwor

Re: MSM Transmission Loss Calculator *Version 2*

Post by Gregwor »

Hopefully this picture helps clear up any confusion!
MSM Calc Description.png
Greg
It appears that you've made the mistake most people do. You started building without consulting this forum.
Gregwor

Re: MSM Transmission Loss Calculator *Version 2.03*

Post by Gregwor »

In this example:
Mastiff Concrete Example.png
I have 8" thick concrete reinforced with rebar as my outer leaf. This is leaf #1. Since it's not actually sheathing, it isn't an option for you in the drop down box in the "LEAF 1 SHEATHING" area. Rather, it is a "SUPPORT STRUCTURE MATERIAL". So, if you look at the bottom left area of the picture in "LEAF 1 SUPPORT STRUCTURE MATERIAL" I chose Concrete and in the size drop down I chose RCC Concrete (with steel). In the "CUSTOM" field below that, I entered 8 to indicate that it is 8" thick (notice the units in the top right are in inches).

For the inner room, I chose to have an inside out wall constructed with two layers of 5/8" fire rated drywall (see the "LEAF 2 SHEATHING" area)

The distance between the concrete and the drywall is 4", so that's what I entered into the "GAP BETWEEN SUPPORT STRUCTURE MATERIAL".

This a very complicated build example in terms of using this calculator. It doesn't get crazier than that for the calculator so I'm glad we have now covered it for any future users!

Greg