Recording room project

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

dom123do

Recording room project

Post by dom123do »

Hi All,

Where too start lol,

I’m going around in circles with my room. After reading and posting on forums everyone has an opinion and I am no wiser afterwards.

Maybe someone here can help.

I have a room I’d like to turn into a studio as a hobby to begin with and see where it takes me.
I will record live vocals , acoustic guitars and brass. I hope to setup a diy booth to dampen the sound for these as money is tight and I’ll have to save up as I improve things bit by bit.

Sound proofing for the neighbours isn’t a problem I just want to start treating it.

Halfway up the room the wall comes out as pictured

One end of the room is used for hairdressing on occasion.

I have posted pics of the room and the measurements.

Any help with treating this would be great thanks

Thanks

Dom
Gregwor

Re: Recording room project

Post by Gregwor »

Welcome!

The basics are:
-Bass trap as much as you can. You have 12 corners available for bass trapping.
-First reflection points (put broadband panels up at these points -- side walls and ceiling).
-SBIR -- put 4" of insulation panels on the wall behind your speakers and then push your speakers right up against them.
-Put at LEAST 6" thick of insulation on your rear wall.

The trick is to take acoustic measurements at each step to see that you're not killing the decay time of certain frequencies too much.
Here is a link to describe how to set up REW properly:

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewt ... =3&t=21122

If you're tracking in there, an option is to use polys in the rear half of the room where you would be tracking. Again, all of this can be fine tuned/deployed after assessing your REW mdat.

Greg
It appears that you've made the mistake most people do. You started building without consulting this forum.
dom123do

Re: Recording room project

Post by dom123do »

Gregwor wrote:Welcome!

The basics are:
-Bass trap as much as you can. You have 12 corners available for bass trapping.
-First reflection points (put broadband panels up at these points -- side walls and ceiling).
-SBIR -- put 4" of insulation panels on the wall behind your speakers and then push your speakers right up against them.
-Put at LEAST 6" thick of insulation on your rear wall.

The trick is to take acoustic measurements at each step to see that you're not killing the decay time of certain frequencies too much.
Here is a link to describe how to set up REW properly:

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewt ... =3&t=21122

If you're tracking in there, an option is to use polys in the rear half of the room where you would be tracking. Again, all of this can be fine tuned/deployed after assessing your REW mdat.

Greg
Thanks very much, I’m going to get all that’s needed to analyse the room and not rush into.

Thank you for the info