Budget drum/rehearsal garden studio UK

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

paulinamusic

Budget drum/rehearsal garden studio UK

Post by paulinamusic »

Hi guys! I am drummer and my partner is a guitarist. Recently we moved to Erith, London and we've got a decent size garden there, where we would like to build a drum/rehearsal studio. It would be separate from the house, bottom of the garden (needs a power supply). The size of the outbuilding would be around 20m2. It would have to be made of non-compustible material due to council's regulations.

I found many different companies specialized in designing and building such spaces but most of them are beyond my budget.
I talked with some builders but they don't know much about sound insulation and a standard brick shed doesn't seem to be a cheap option neither. Maybe something like icf blocks or anything similar would be a better solution if you can suggest some building material? I also thought about getting a shipping container and doing a room within a room, though not sure it is a good idea. Just read somewhere that metal shell can almost be considered non existant... Or maybe there is a better prefab building alternative? Then I thought about getting an isolation booth. But the noise reduction doesn't seem to be good enough for drums and it would be good just for a solo practice. I am a bit lost, especially that I'm just a musician and not really a DIY type.

Could anyone help with choosing inexpensive materials, with the design or can recommend anyone who could help make my dreams come true and build a music studio where I could play drums without disturbing my neighbors, please?

I'd be eternally grateful for any suggestion!
Gregwor

Re: Budget drum/rehearsal garden studio UK

Post by Gregwor »

Welcome!

Can you please fully fill out your profile?
I found many different companies specialized in designing and building such spaces but most of them are beyond my budget.
What is your budget?
Could anyone help with choosing inexpensive materials, with the design or can recommend anyone who could help make my dreams come true and build a music studio where I could play drums without disturbing my neighbors, please?
I'm personally not familiar with common building materials in your area. Drywall and OSB on wood frame is the cheapest way to build here in Canada. Basically, use the cheapest material you can find that has the most surface density. Surface density is the most important characteristic you need in your sheathing material in order to achieve good isolation.

In terms of design, this forum has everything you need to know on it to build a space including how to physically do it. I know you said you're not a DIY type of person so you either need to attempt to do it yourself (and save a bunch of money) or hire someone. If you do it yourself you'll need to buy some tools though! I think it's important for people to acquire tools and skill sets in construction so I'm encouraging you to do it yourself.

Greg
It appears that you've made the mistake most people do. You started building without consulting this forum.
paulinamusic

Re: Budget drum/rehearsal garden studio UK

Post by paulinamusic »

My budget is around £20,000. It needs to be made of non-combustible materials so I was thinking about 2 layers of concrete blocks with a rockwool in between. Concrete foundation, flat roof.