Studio Location Options

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

GDA

Studio Location Options

Post by GDA »

Hello everyone,

This is my first post after many months reading different posts. I just moved to a new state (Indiana) from California and bought a house with a large unfinished basement. I'm planning on converting an area of the basement into a recording studio/rehearsal studio, and I have two options, each with pros and cons.

Some background on me:
  • I play loud guitar, bass, and drums (typically not at the same time). ~110 dB peak with c weighting is what I measured in my California studio before I moved out.
  • I will be playing after the kids go to bed, so I'm looking for as much realistic attenuation as possible. They sleep on the second floor. I know that it may not be realistic to play as loud as I used to with kids nearby, but I'd also like to be able to at least record guitar and mix and produce. 70dB is a lot, but something I want to shoot for
  • Looking more for soundproofing than acoustics
  • Budget would be around $20K if possible.
Space option 1:
  • 28.0' long x 12.2' wide (there is an additional dogleg I would also use, which would add 3.0' x 12.6') (see floor plan 1)
  • Most walls are solid concrete (Not sure the thickness)
  • One issue (the biggest) is the amount of HVAC mechanical. These ducts serve the kitchen and the laundry room (see image 2).
  • The second issue is the electrical box at the end of the space. I would need to add access to this, which I imagine would be a hassle and degrade the sound isolation, or relocate, which would add cost.
  • The ceiling is 9'.
Space option 2:
  • Slightly smaller, but still large enough for me: 12.6' x 13.8' x 5.3' x 22.3' (see floor plan 2)
  • Outer walls are concrete
  • The first issue is the windows. While I'd love to have windows, I'm worried about the sound isolation to the neighbors and the cost to do it right
  • There are two ducts to the family room, and one to the kitchen in the space. These could be relocated, but not to ideal locations
I think space option 2 would be the best and most cost-efficient, but I'd rather have option 1 and utilize the additional space. My questions right now are all around the ductwork:

How hard is it to isolate the ductwork? I'm planning on using an inside out ceiling, but is getting around 70 dB of isolation in either of these spaces possible?

Do you have suggestions on the best way to isolate this ductwork?

Any opinions on which space I should start planning on using?

Thanks everyone!
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Re: Studio Location Options

Post by Soundman2020 »

Hi there GDA; and Welcome to the forum! :)
I play loud guitar, bass, and drums ~110 dB peak with c weighting is what I measured in my California studio before I moved out.
You play your drums rather quiet! :) Typically, drums come in around 115 dBC, and higher. It seems you play yours gently, which is good for the family and neighbors!
70dB is a lot, but something I want to shoot for
Achieving 70 dB isolation in a home studio is a MAJOR undertaking. And I mean VERY major. This is big money we are talking about. You mentioned a budget of US$ 20k, but you should add another zero on there (seriously!) if you want 70 dB isolation. I'm not joking about that extra zero....

To put this in perspective: The dB scale is logarithmic, not linear, so every time you go up by 20 dB, that implies ten TIMES the sound intensity... and probably ten TIMES the cost to obtain.

Think of it like this: Let's say you need to isolate a volume of half a cubic meter, such as for an iso box for a speaker cabinet. You can get 10 dB isolation for that with a thick cardboard box, and it would maybe cost you 50 cents to a dollar or so. To get 20 dB of isolation, you could use thin plywood: a box made from 6mm plywood will do just fine for that. Cost: maybe 5 - 10 dollars or so. To get 30 dB of isolation, you need something like a house wall: a stud frame with 12mm drywall on each side, and insulation in the cavity. Cost: maybe 50 - 100 dollars. I think you can see where this is going... To get 40 dB isolation, you'd need to build a very thick brick or concrete box, or a basic two-leaf decoupled MSM wall: Cost: maybe 500 - 1,000 dollars. 50 dB of isolation would need a rather more massive two-leaf wall for the box, with a larger air gap. Maybe 5,000 dollars. For 60 dB isolation, each leaf is going to be very massive, there's going to be a very large air gap, and it is going to be completely filled with suitable porous absorption, and sealed absolutely air tight. For 70 dB, we are now out of the realm of normal home construction, and into some very serious industrial type construction. You now need a proper floating floor, for sure, likely separately isolated foundations, very, very massive walls, etc. And lots of money... :)

Not trying to scare you off! Just pointing out reality... Getting high isolation is a huge undertaking, because the dB scale is log, not linear. Most home studio builders get around 50 dB for their studios, and are very happy if they can get 55: over-the-moon-jumping-up-and-down-ecstatically-euphoric if they get 60 dB. The best-isolated studio in the world is arguably Galaxy Studios in Belgium. It took the many years, many millions of dollars, and the very best efforts of one of the leading experts in acoustic isolation... and they get about 100 dB of isolation.

That's my long rambling way of saying: maybe 70 dB is a little too ambitious! :)

Now, having said all that, you do have the advantage of concrete walls in your case, which implies high mass, so you are starting off with a good advantage. That makes it easier to get to good isolation. But! The walls are only on the sides: there the ceiling, doors, windows, HVAC, and electrical system, to consider. And for extreme isolation, you would need extreme measures for all of those.
Looking more for soundproofing than acoustics
Acousticians tend to shy away from the word "soundproofing", as it doesn't have a technical definition, can't be measured, and means different things to different people. Instead, we use terms like "isolation" and "Transmission Loss". So in your case, isolation is more important than acoustic response.

Sorry it I seem to be splitting hairs here, but it's important to make sure we all mean the same things when we use technical terms!
Budget would be around $20K if possible.
More about that later...
One issue (the biggest) is the amount of HVAC mechanical. These ducts serve the kitchen and the laundry room (see image 2).
For high isolation, that's a major problem. You would need to enclose those in boxes having mass similar to that of your walls...
The second issue is the electrical box at the end of the space. I would need to add access to this, which I imagine would be a hassle and degrade the sound isolation, or relocate, which would add cost.
For extreme isolation (70 dB), the access door for getting to that would have to have the same surface density as that of the wall itself, plus multiple independent seals. Not impossible, but it would probably be cheaper to just move the entire panel to another location. Definitely not cheap to do that either, but still cheaper than a complex and massive door in the wall of your studio, with multiple seals.
The ceiling is 9'.
That's great! :thu: Gives you plenty of space for the isolation that you will need up there.
The first issue is the windows. While I'd love to have windows, I'm worried about the sound isolation to the neighbors and the cost to do it right
You cna keep your windows, but you'd need to replace the glass with something massively thick, to have te same surface density as that of the wall. Have you ever seen the very thick bullet-proof glass that they sometimes use in banks and armored cars? Have you seen how thick that is? That's not thick enough for what you need, for 70 dB isolation... It would have to be thicker...
There are two ducts to the family room, and one to the kitchen in the space. These could be relocated, but not to ideal locations
Your HVAC ducts can either be boxed in, or relocated, whichever is cheaper. But the isolation issue doesn't stop there: what about the sub-floor above you? What is that made of? If that's a thick concrete slab, then that's good, and you can can probably get high isolation, maybe 60, but if it is a typical OSB on joists floor, then you are probably out of luck at doing this cheaply: You would have to remove that floor, and pour a concrete slab up there, then do your inner-leaf ceiling below that.
How hard is it to isolate the ductwork?
It's thin sheet metal, so it has very little isolation on it's own. It also "pipes" sound rather well from one location to another: put a boom-box close to a register in one room, and you'll hear that through many other registers in the house. Play a drum kit at 110 dBC next to one register, and... well, you get the point! :) Isolating the duct-work is possible, and doable for low to medium levels of isolation, but for extreme levels of isolation it would be far better (and cheaper) to just remove it completely, and route new ducting through a different path. The same applies to any water pipes, gas pipes, electrical conduit, sewer pipes, etc.
I'm planning on using an inside out ceiling, but is getting around 70 dB of isolation in either of these spaces possible?
In simple terms? On a budget of 20 k, not, it is not possible. On a budget of 200k: probably possible, but difficult.
Any opinions on which space I should start planning on using?
This is just for a rehearsal room, right? Not for mixing? Then either one could work, but you probably need to go for the one that has the highest initial isolation, to make it a bit easier to get the extra isolation you need. I would suggest buying a sound level meter, setting up a good sound system with a sub, capable of producing 120 dBC, play really loud bass-heavy music through that, and check the levels in and around the house, all over, using "C" and "Slow" on the meter. Do that for each of the two rooms. That will give you an idea of how much isolation you are getting at present, so you can figure out how much extra you need in each case. Based on that, you can decide on which room makes the most sense from the isolation point of view, then start looking at construction techniques and materials that can produce the isolation level you decide on in the end.

I hope I haven't dampened your enthusiasm! The point I've been trying to make is that getting 70 dB of isolation in a typical house is HUGE! And expensive. Getting 60 is already hard (and expensive), but doable. Getting 50 is a realistic goal, and is a level that most home studio builders shoot for.

- Stuart -

- Stuart -
GDA

Post by GDA »

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for the warm welcome. I've read so many of your posts, it's like meeting a celebrity! :yahoo:

Your post completely makes sense and is honestly what I expected. My enthusiasm is slightly diminished, but I just need to process that I'll be changing my habits slightly (and probably protecting my hearing a bit). For $200K out here, I could buy a lot in the middle of nowhere and build the studio of my dreams.

OK, so resetting to a potential 50 dB of isolation (damn those physics). That would still allow me to focus on virtual drums and AxeFx guitars at night, recording other things during the day or on the weekends :| :cry:
I would suggest buying a sound level meter, setting up a good sound system with a sub, capable of producing 120 dBC, play really loud bass-heavy music through that, and check the levels in and around the house, all over, using "C" and "Slow" on the meter. Do that for each of the two rooms.
Great suggestion! I'll do that tomorrow morning. That said, since I'll now be using the space with quieter virtual instruments, I may want to focus more on a mix of sound isolation with a good sounding room. I've tried to look into the math behind room modes, but if I start moving towards using this space to mix in as well, does that change your thoughts on which room to use?

I'm leaning towards space #2. The windows would be great to have (I'll have to replace them), and the ductwork can be moved or isolated with less effort than space #1.
what about the sub-floor above you? What is that made of?
Exactly. OSB on the floor joists and the foot noise from above is definitely noticeable.

It also seems like it would be easier to treat acoustically with the non-paralell wall, although I know you've mentioned that doesn't make much difference in a space. I may need some guidance on room modes if you can provide some.

That all brings up a few more questions:
  • Can I add thicker drywall with green glue to the bottom of the subfloor to beef up that leaf?
  • Do you have any thoughts on which room layout would sound the best, or recommendations for my own research?
  • Do you have suggestions on isolating the windows?
Thanks again! I really appreciate the help.

-Matt
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

Thanks for the warm welcome. I've read so many of your posts, it's like meeting a celebrity!
Thanks so much for the kind words, but I'm not so sure about "celebrity"! :oops:
OK, so resetting to a potential 50 dB of isolation (damn those physics). That would still allow me to focus on virtual drums and AxeFx guitars at night, recording other things during the day or on the weekend
You might be surprised just how good 50 dB can work out... don't forget the work that Mssrs. Fletcher and Munson did, and the curves they came up with. You might find that 50 dB is fine for most of your loud noises, most of the time.
I may want to focus more on a mix of sound isolation with a good sounding room. I've tried to look into the math behind room modes, but if I start moving towards using this space to mix in as well, does that change your thoughts on which room to use?
There's just a few simple rules about what to look for when choosing a room for a control room:

1) Make the room as big as possible: The ITU BS-1116.3 spec says that 20m2 is the minimum floor area. That doesn't mean that 19.99m2 is totally terrible, and 20.01 is amazingly spectacular! It's just a general point that marks a division. Small rooms are hard to treat to get good acoustics. The smaller it is, the harder it is to treat, and the less "good" will be the acoustic response.

2) Make the ceiling as high as possible: This refers to the final inner ACOUSTIC surface of the ceiling, not necessarily the visible ceiling. (With some design and construction techniques, it is quite possible that the actual acoustic ceiling is many inches (cm) beyond the visible ceiling.)

3) Get as much air volume inside as possible: Sound likes air. The more air you can get, the better. This is obviously tied to #1 and #2 above, since making the floor area bigger or making the ceiling higher will automatically mean more air volume. But its worth mentioning separately. to highlight how important total volume is.

4) Symmetry is critical: The room should be left/right symmetrical, at the very least for the front half of the room. The left half should be a mirror image of the right half. The rear of the room isn't so important: it's nice if that can be symmetrical too, but it's not critical.

5) No doors or windows in room corners, or within 3 feet / 60 cm of the corners (and preferably 90 cm).

6) No strange shapes. Just a plain old rectangular room, with three sets of mutually perpendicular surfaces: two side walls, a front wall, a back wall, a ceiling and a floor. When you have more boundary surfaces than that, or if some of them are angled in some way, then it's harder to predict the acoustic response of the room, and harder to treat.

7) Figure out your room ratio, and try to make sure you are far away from all known "bad" ratios, and reasonably close to one of the "good" ratios, and that's that! No need to go crazy about ratios, as some people tend to do. Ballpark is just fine. For figuring out your ratio, use one of these calculators:

http://www.bobgolds.com/Mode/RoomModes.htm
https://amcoustics.com/tools/amroc

Both of those are very good, and will help you to decide which room is best. They give you tons of information that is really useful to help figure out the best dimensions. But once again, don't go crazy here! There is NO need at all to nudge and fudge things to get the "perfect" ratio, because there is no such thing. Also, take into account that both of those assume the room is a simple rectangle... :)

That's about it!

Based on that, you should be able to make an intelligent decision about choosing your room.
Exactly. OSB on the floor joists and the foot noise from above is definitely noticeable.
Do you know what the current load is on your joists, and how much extra load you can put on that, safely? High isolation implies LOTS of mass, an you will need to add plenty of that to the underside of that floor above you. You might need to get a structural engineer involved here, to tell you how much extra load you can put up there.
It also seems like it would be easier to treat acoustically with the non-paralell wall, although I know you've mentioned that doesn't make much difference in a space. I may need some guidance on room modes if you can provide some.
I sort-of covered that a bit above: Room modes are a fact of life. There's nothing much you can do about them. You can't get rid of them by angling walls: all that does is to change the frequency where the modes will happen, and it makes it MUCH harder to predict what the real response will be. The real problem is that you don't have enough modes in the low end, but the only way to get more modes is to make the room bigger! So unless you can push the walls out by a dozen meters or so, you won't ever have enough modes to go around in the low end. Fiddling with room dimensions for small rooms is pointless: moving modes around like that is akin to re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic as it sinks....
Can I add thicker drywall with green glue to the bottom of the subfloor to beef up that leaf?
You can, yes.... provided that your structural engineer tells you that you can! Adding one layer is usually fine in most houses, adding two layers is sometimes maybe possibly OK. Adding three layers is probably not OK... but the only guy who can tell you that for sure, is a structural engineer.
Do you have any thoughts on which room layout would sound the best, or recommendations for my own research?
See above! :) I would go for the largest, most symmetrical room with the most parallel walls, the highest ceiling, the the highest total air volume, that does not have doors or windows in the corners... :)
Do you have suggestions on isolating the windows?
Seal them air-tight, replace the glass with much thicker laminated glass that has an acoustic PVB interlayer, and add a second such glass pane in your inner leaf. If you look around the forum, you'll probably find several threads where people have isolated their windows.

Thanks again! I really appreciate the help.
:thu:

- Stuart -