Polyester Fiber Acoustic Panels as Absorbers in Live Room?

How to use REW, What is a Bass Trap, a diffuser, the speed of sound, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

jskdrums

Polyester Fiber Acoustic Panels as Absorbers in Live Room?

Post by jskdrums »

I've recently seen Absorber Panels made of Polyester Fiber & I'm curious how effective they are..I'm attaching a few Pics / Screen shots of this stuff.

Have any of you had experience with this type of product? How does it compare to foam, OC 703 or 705 etc? (I know this product is much thinner, but I'm still curious how it compares)
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Re: Polyester Fiber Acoustic Panels as Absorbers in Live Roo

Post by Soundman2020 »

You'd have to get the actual acoustic test data to be able to say for sure what they might be useful for, but at just 1cm thick, they won't be doing anything useful for a typical studio. There's evidence that you can get useful absorption down to about 1/32 wavelength under certain conditions, so for something 1cm thick, that would work down to about 1100 Hz, not lower. So if all you needed was to absorb some high end stuff, then these panels might be useful... but studios rarely need a lot of high end absorption! They mostly need huge amounts of LOW frequency absorption, which this panels would do nothing for. Small rooms need absorption in the wavelength range 2m to 17m... way, way beyond the capability of 1cm panels, no matter how good they are.

Also, note that there is no acoustic data at all in the specs: just vague claims, most of which are meaningless...

- Stuart -
DanDan

Post by DanDan »

Thin anything is not very useful. However Caruso Isobond and Autex are available 100mm thick.
They are both excellent absorbers. Some data here measured inside a sound-death-room..... Don't be scared!
https://www.don-audio.com/CARUSO-ISO-BO ... llabsorber

DD
jskdrums

Post by jskdrums »

Thanks for your replies Stuart & DD. My gut told me the same thing.