Help with acoustic treatment for live room

How to use REW, What is a Bass Trap, a diffuser, the speed of sound, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

mikefromtracer

Help with acoustic treatment for live room

Post by mikefromtracer »

Hi all, in the planning for phase for the acoustic treatment of my rehearsal room

Room specs:
Rehearsal Inside dimensions: 4800mm (width) x 5900mm (length) x 2400mm (height)
Door placement: 4800mm wide wall in corner
Floor construction: 22mm chip board on rafters over dirt
Inner wall construction (working inside to outside): 9mm drywall/gyprock | 75mm R2.5 insulation | tin
Outer wall construction (working inside to outside): 75mm R2.5 insulation | axon scyon concrete sheets (9mm thick) mass =12.5kg2
Roof construction: 75mm R2.5 insulation | 9mm drywall/gyprock | tin

I am using the room for a rock band. Live drums, guitar and bass. The sound insulation is pretty good with only a quick test and no neighbor complaints yet...but the room sound like crap.

It is a box, with no treatment yet. I plan to put some rugs down for aesthetics, but what I am seeking advice on is how to treat the walls, corners, ceiling etc.

Currently I have the drums in the middle of the short wall (the wall without the door), shooting right down the centre, and the amps in the middle of the room pointing back at the drums.

On the other short wall I have a "recording setup" of computer desk, cheap speakers....that is SECONDARY to the live room, but it would be still nice to have this sounding a bit better too.

Any thoughts, material suggestions, baffle sizes specific to the size of the room would be great.

I am pretty handy with tools so will do all the building myself. My budget is around $2,000

Thanks in advance
DanDan

Re: Help with acoustic treatment for live room

Post by DanDan »

Unfortunately the two biggest surfaces in your room are reflective and parallel. Floor and ceiling.
Treat the ceiling extensively to a depth of at least say 8". This is typically done using commercial batt traps by RealTraps, GIK, etc.
I would tend to not go DIY for overhead. One doesn't want LF shaking those fibres into descent.
Look up Clouds. A suspended ceiling as seen in offices and such can be a very cost effective way to do this. Use absorbent only tiles (many of them have a blocking layer). Fill the void above them with light fibre.
DD