Updated Reverberation Time Calculator

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

John Sayers
Site Admin

Updated Reverberation Time Calculator

Post by John Sayers »

I've created a new reverb calc adding Owens Corning 2" and 4" - 703 and 705 as options.

you can either add them as full wall covering or use the right hand side option and add the area per wall.

HERE

Enjoy

Cheers
john
JEFF GOSSARD

room calc

Post by JEFF GOSSARD »

hey,

that's a pretty slick program. what kind of reverb time do you want for your control room and live room?
building a recording studio
tmix

Post by tmix »

That is cool.
When I put in the amount of panels I planned it makes it about.28 - .33 for all frequencys except at 125 hz which was .8 or so. (originally w/o panels was 2.75 all across)

What IS good values for tracking rooms as opposed to mixing rooms?

Tom
Tom Menikos
T-Mix Studios
Mansfield Tx
malfunction

Re: room calc

Post by malfunction »

JEFF GOSSARD wrote:hey,

that's a pretty slick program. what kind of reverb time do you want for your control room and live room?
There are no hard rules for live room reverb which is why it is called a live room. You can have a huge live room with over 1.5s reverb or a smaller one with less reverb.
Generally the CR must have shorter reverb than the live room but the length is pretty much up to you as long as it's even across the spectrum. I think the recommended RT60 for CR is around .2-.3 seconds.
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Re: Updated Reverberation Time Calculator

Post by Soundman2020 »

Well, all the treatment added only effects the high frequencies
Ummmm... no it doesn't. You might want to read again what he said. In fact the treatment he tried meets ETU and EBU specs, with one exception.

Besides, why are you replying to a thread that is nearly three years old?

- Stuart -
peteralan

Post by peteralan »

There are no hard rules for live room reverb which is why it is called a live room. You can have a huge live room with over 1.5s reverb or a smaller one with less reverb.

[SPAM SIGNATURE DELETED BY MODERATOR]
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

peteralan wrote:There are no hard rules for live room reverb which is why it is called a live room. You can have a huge live room with over 1.5s reverb or a smaller one with less reverb.
On the other hand, YOU have so much reverb that you are actually echoing something said by another person, eight years ago! :

Bye bye spammer....
Waka

Post by Waka »

I just wanted to note that I believe there are errors in the reverberation calculator linked (Maybe it's an old one :?: ). Basically there are two reverb calculators on John's website.

One seems to agree with absorption coefficients listed in many publications whereas the other does not.

The one listed at the top of this post by John: http://johnlsayers.com/Pages/Reverb_Calc.htm - Doesn't seem to have the correct coefficients for 500hz and above.

Whereas this one: http://johnlsayers.com/Recmanual/Pages/ ... ulator.htm - Matches multiple other sources.

I manually calculated my room's RT60 using the equations and coefficient's in: F. Alton Everest's "Master Handbook of Acoustics - Sixth Edition" and they match exactly the values from this second reverb calc.

I understand this thread is old, but as it is permanently located in the announcements section in the Studio Design forum I felt I needed to mention the discrepancy :) .

Thanks,
Dan
Stay up at night reading books on acoustics and studio design, learn Sketchup, bang your head against a wall, redesign your studio 15 times, curse the gods of HVAC silencers and door seals .... or hire a studio designer.
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

Thanks for pointing that out, Dan! Strange....

I'll let John know about the faulty one.

- Stuart -
AffordableWind

Post by AffordableWind »

Hello All, from New Zealand. Thanks for sharing this one with us. Looking forward to this group.
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

Thank you Dan - I've changed the link to the recording manual one.
cheers
john
John Sayers Productions

If this site helps you build your studio please use the Donate button.
Waka

Post by Waka »

John Sayers wrote:Thank you Dan - I've changed the link to the recording manual one.
cheers
john
Not a problem John. It's nice to finally meet you. Thanks for the excellent forum!

Dan
Stay up at night reading books on acoustics and studio design, learn Sketchup, bang your head against a wall, redesign your studio 15 times, curse the gods of HVAC silencers and door seals .... or hire a studio designer.