1/3 mix position rule

How to use REW, What is a Bass Trap, a diffuser, the speed of sound, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

pastorjjo

1/3 mix position rule

Post by pastorjjo »

Greetings. I'm trying to find more info about the rule that says your optimal mix position should be a 1/3 in/or of your room. Is that referring to mix position or monitor position?

Thx
Jjo
Room
Length 19.4"
Width 13.4"
Ceiling Height 9' slopes to 13'
Ceramic Tile Floors
Concrete Walls
Treated with (6) OC703 Panels
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Re: 1/3 mix position rule

Post by Soundman2020 »

It's not really a rule, just a guideline, and the number is 38%, (just a bit more than 1/3). That's the position where your EARS should be, as measured between the front and rear walls (hard room boundary, not considering acoustic treatment). So if your room is 10 m long, then your ears should be 3.8m from the front wall, ideally.

This is related to room modes, not speakers. 38% is supposedly the point in the room where room mode peaks and nulls are at their least terrible, so in theory it's a good place to have your head.

HOWEVER! That's just a THEORETICAL best location, a starting point for playing around with positioning: you might need to move from there for many different reasons, such as speaker location and angle, doors, windows, beams, room shape, etc. And many engineers like to be a bit closer to the front wall than that anyway.

So don't go crazy trying to get your ears at exactly 38% of the room depth! Anywhere in that region is fine. Just stay away from 25% and 50%: those are the bad places.

- Stuart -
pastorjjo

Post by pastorjjo »

Just re-reading this and realized...I never said “Thank you”

Sorry about that. “Thank you” I’ve been getting great results!

Jason
Room
Length 19.4"
Width 13.4"
Ceiling Height 9' slopes to 13'
Ceramic Tile Floors
Concrete Walls
Treated with (6) OC703 Panels
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »