Should I double wrap my panels?

How to use REW, What is a Bass Trap, a diffuser, the speed of sound, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

teomi

Should I double wrap my panels?

Post by teomi »

Hi there,
I am making DIY panels with a vented wooden frame and 2 x 2'' Knauf Ecose boards. I am wrapping it with Guilford of Maine and I'm a little concerned that some fibers can migrate through the weave since GOM is not so finely weaved.

Any thoughts? Is that necessary? and if it is, which fabric should I include in addition to the outer GOM layer.

Thanks,
Eitan
-
Eitan Teomi, Composer/Sound Designer
www.handheldsound.com
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Re: Should I double wrap my panels?

Post by Soundman2020 »

That depends on where you plan to put the panels. If they are going to be overhead, as part of a cloud or ceiling treatment, then I would use very thin plastic under the fabric, to prevent the fibers from filtering down slowly over time, onto your equipment. But if your panels are low down, on the walls, not too close to where people and equipment will be, then there's probably no need.

However, regardless of fibers, I always use a layer of cheap black fabric under the final finish fabric, for another reason: visual. It helps stop light getting in and out, which better hides the interior of the panel. Without that, if the finish fabric has a fairly course weave, then from some angles you'd be able to see through it, to the framing and insulation inside. If you use a fine weave black fabric for that, then you likely won't need anything else.... Unless you are also wanting to tune your panels, to reflect back some of the high frequencies that would otherwise be lost...

- Stuart -
teomi

Post by teomi »

Hi Stuart and thanks for the reply.
The Panels are mostly on the wall behind the speakers and main desk. They are not going on the ceiling. They are pretty close to the back of the speakers due to room size/logistics. The Guilford of Maine fabric is not very tightly weaved but enough for me to not see the fiberglass panels/wood frame. The color is also light silver which isn't a big contrast to what's underneath. So my main concern is with fibers nothing visual.

Should I just let it be with one layer then?

Thanks,
Eitan
-
Eitan Teomi, Composer/Sound Designer
www.handheldsound.com
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

You could plastic on the front of the insulation before the fabric. Very thin, lightweight plastic, such as what painters use to cover furniture when they are painting. Often sold as "drop cloth" or "painter's plastic" in hardware stores. That would be fine on those panels. It's not going to interfere with the purpose or operation of those panels.

- Stuart -