Wall Boxes!

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

Breck

Wall Boxes!

Post by Breck »

We're building out a studio in an existing office space, and thank God- we're almost done!!

I'm looking for a company to build us two wallboxes. They would be surface-mount boxes, as opposed to mounting in regular electrical boxes, and contain mic, speaker, Cat-5, MIDI and video connections.

Anybody have recommendations? I'd like these to be loaded with connectors, and pre-wired to a length of cable that's blunt-cut or stripped and tinned at the other end.

We're located in Southfield, Michigan, USA. Southfield is a suburb of Detroit.

Thanks!

-Breck
Aaronw

Post by Aaronw »

So what you need is some connector wall plates for like the live room, etc.?

How extravagant do you want to get on your plates? How many and what type of connectors do you need? Are you wanting numbers, etc engraved or stenciled on the plates? Does it need to be one solid plate, or will multiple plates work?

Does it need to be "prewired" or can or will you wire yourself?

Aaron
Breck

Post by Breck »

So what you need is some connector wall plates for like the live room, etc.?
Actually we need surface mount boxes- no holes to be made through the walls.
How extravagant do you want to get on your plates? How many and what type of connectors do you need?
24 XLR, 2 MIDI, 4 Speaker (1/4" TS), 2 BNC, 3 RJ45 (Cat 5), one 1/4" TRS. That's for the main studio.
We're a small commercial studio with some corporate clients, so it's gotta look good. As much as I love masking tape/Sharpie labels, I don't think that'll fly here.
Does it need to be one solid plate, or will multiple plates work?
I'd prefer one custom plate on a shallow surface- mount box in each room- our "Studio B" is a much smaller room- a glorified vocal booth, really, so it's box will be smaller.
Does it need to be "prewired" or can or will you wire yourself?
I've done these before, and given the two billion or so other little tasks I have to do before we open, I'd much rather get them prewired.

Any Ideas?

-Breck
[/quote]
Aaronw

Post by Aaronw »

These guys are probably pretty expensive, but you can check it out. I'll find some others when I get a few extra moments in the next day or 2. I know there's some adds in the back of Mix magazine and a few other trade mags. But check here... http://www.rcicustom.com/

Aaron
Breck

Post by Breck »

Thanks, Aaron.
Breck

Post by Breck »

Thanks, Aaron.
giles117

Post by giles117 »

Call Rapco They are pretty reasonable. Do very nice screen work and wont kill you price wise.
Bryan Giles

FOH Live, Live Remote & Studio Engineer
Producer

Just living life and having fun with all this talent YHWH Elohim has given me.
Aaronw

Post by Aaronw »

I think Whirlwind may do the same thing??? You'd have to check, I don't know for sure, but I know they do some plates.
cfuehrer

Post by cfuehrer »

Whirlwind is right here in my home town!!! Great choice.
Peace,

Carl Fuehrer
Pulsar Audio Lab
http://www.pulsaraudiolab.com
giles117

Post by giles117 »

Matter of fact whirlwind has a dealer just down 8 mikle on the southfiled side between beech daley and Inkster 9if they are still there)

Bryan Giles
Bryan Giles

FOH Live, Live Remote & Studio Engineer
Producer

Just living life and having fun with all this talent YHWH Elohim has given me.
AndrewMc

Post by AndrewMc »

I looked into this a while back and found custom plates etc to be somewhat expensive. In the end I went with multiple standard electrical boxes then the black faceplates eg - double gang - 4 XLR. Where possible I have these mounted in the slot resonators, but where that is not possible they are surface mount. I made a box to hold the boxes then this is mounted on the wall.

For lettering - the transfer labelling looks very professional.
Andrew McMaster