Reviewing my Hanging Bass Traps.

How to use REW, What is a Bass Trap, a diffuser, the speed of sound, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

pabloandura

Reviewing my Hanging Bass Traps.

Post by pabloandura »

Hello everyone!

I have an acoustics specific question from my original post in the construction forum.
John Sayers wrote:Just use 12mm plaster sheet javier - that will work. ;)
I will be installing some drywall hangers this week. Each drywall panel is 12.5mm thick, and 1.2m by 2.4m.
I was thinking of initially purchasing three panels, to make 6 hangers of 0.6m by 2.4m and covering them with 2.5 thick insulation (21.6 kg/m2 dense).
The hangers will have a total thickness of 17.5 mm, each drywall panel will have a wooden attachment to the top of it to make the drywall not break from the hanging mechanism.
The will be separated by 2 cm from each-other and the insulation on the wall. Angled about 8 degrees towards the speakers.
The corner behind the waveguides will have 5cm of insulation (should i got for more?).
See how that changes the low end response. If they work I would build four more hangers to a total of four in each rear corner.
I will compare the results with REW, before and after.
I'm thinking three panels on each side will not generate much of a difference in low end response.
Captura de pantalla 2018-11-20 a la(s) 17.56.37.png
Do y'all think this will be worth the try? This drywall version is fairly less expensive than the cork board alternative.

Pablo
Work for your last name
Gregwor

Re: Reviewing my Hanging Bass Traps.

Post by Gregwor »

I have an acoustics specific question from my original post in the construction forum.
Who told you that you can build hangers out of drywall? You cannot.
I will be installing some drywall hangers this week.
These won't work well. Can you not find Homasote in your area?
This drywall version is fairly less expensive than the cork board alternative.
And the price will reflect upon the performance.

Greg
It appears that you've made the mistake most people do. You started building without consulting this forum.
pabloandura

Re: Reviewing my Hanging Bass Traps.

Post by pabloandura »

Hello Gregwor!

No, I can not find homasote in my area. I quoted in my first post to a John Sayers post about hangers.
In his post he says "that will work".

I hope they do, I will upload my results here and in my original post.

Pablo
Work for your last name