Short bursts of intermittent noise

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

patrickthedrummer

Short bursts of intermittent noise

Post by patrickthedrummer »

NOISE EXAMPLE SHORTOZONE.mp3
NOISE EXAMPLE FILTEREDOZONE.mp3

Hello everyone. Ive got a thread going over at good ol gearslutz and thought I might try here as well.

For the past couple of years Ive had an issue with intermittent digital sounding noise creeping in. The noise happens 3 or more times in a normal work day. It sounds kind of like cell phone interference, but not quite. It lasts about 5 seconds each time it shows up. I will hear the noise through the monitors, but the monitor controller volume setting has no effect on the loudness of the noise. The noise will print to record enabled tracks in pro tools. The noise will appear in guitar amps. I believe it to be related to the studio electricity. The building was completely rewired when I got it along with installing a new breaker panel. The ground rod is an old galvanized rod and will be replaced this week.

Ive been here about 5 years, and the noise just showed up about 2 years ago.

All computer equipment runs through a Cyber Power UPS. I had a tripp lite UPS for years and recently replaced it. No change in the noise.

All rack gear is on "power conditioners" and plugged into a tripp lite isobar.

All control room gear is on a dedicated 20 amp circuit.
Signal Hill Recording
Austin, Texas
Gregwor

Re: Short bursts of intermittent noise

Post by Gregwor »

What other businesses are in the building? Have you tried to make a connection between the sound an something like HVAC equipment turning on or off? Have you talked to other businesses in your building that may be turning on some equipment? Have you tried an isolation transformer?

Greg
It appears that you've made the mistake most people do. You started building without consulting this forum.
patrickthedrummer

Re: Short bursts of intermittent noise

Post by patrickthedrummer »

Yo! Im not sure how I missed your reply!

My building is a house on an acre and a half, so there aren't other business in my building. The noise occurs when the AC system is shut off. Also when the septic system is shut off. I have not tried an isolation transformer yet. Ive tried everything to correlate the noise with something, but it happens at random, and for only a few seconds at a time, that there isn't much time to figure anything out.

Ive tried the obvious things - shutting off modem and router, ac, septic, replaced an old UPS.
Signal Hill Recording
Austin, Texas