Confused: What caulk to use???

Find out where to get building materials in your local area. If you find a good outlet post it and others will be able to access it through the search engine.

Moderators: Aaronw, John Sayers

SimonOstheim

Confused: What caulk to use???

Post by SimonOstheim »

hi everyone.

i don't wanna start a new discussion about using greenglue or not but what do i use instead?

silicon thats used in the bathroom or something like that? i understand that the idea of using caulk is to
make things airtight and to use a product that gives good adhesion and stayes flexible over time. so far so good.

i read a lot posts about the greenglue thing but if i'm not going to use it (hard to get in germany anyway and john doesnt use it)
and i wanted to go to the homedepot tomorrow and buy some kind of caulk for sealing of joints in a recording studio build

question:
what caulk would i have to buy. to what properties of a potential product do i have to pay attention to?

thanks for the answers. i searched and read but couldnt find the answer here...

simon
snowdog99

Re: Confused: What caulk to use???

Post by snowdog99 »

First of all, make sure you're not confusing the purpose of green glue with caulk.
Green glue isn't for sealing seams, but for putting between two layers of drywall.
That said, I didn't use greenglue either in my build and I'm quite please with results I'm getting.

For sealing the gaps, use backer rod and caulk. I used GE Silicone II. Make sure (if you go this route) you get the Silicone II, and not the basic Silicone. I contacted the GE Support line about their product to determine if the "Bathroom and tubs" version was different than their "windows and doors" version and was told that the only difference was the packaging. Silicone II is the product, and it is all the same. Quite often a Home Depot or similar store will put one version on sale for considerably less, so keep an eye out for that.

Don't quote me, but I believe that a silicone based sealant is the best route to take.

That's all I can suggest.

Andy
SimonOstheim

Post by SimonOstheim »

hello andy.

thanks a lot for your reply :-)

i will have to see what product i can get in germany. i doubt that i can get the brand you
specified but perhaps ill find an equivalent.

another question if i may: did you put something between your sheets of drywall and if what did you use?

thnaks for the reply,
you helped me already
simon
snowdog99

Post by snowdog99 »

I put nothing between the sheets of drywall.
I built a room-within-a-room, which turned out pretty well. I haven't got exact numbers on amount of sound reduction, but my wife can sit in the room right above me and says that it sounds "like a radio playing in another part of the house."

Check out the ge site for product information.

http://www.caulkyourhome.com/index.php

I'm not a seller of the product. I just used it in my build so can only speak to its ease of application, quick dry time, and low odour.
John86045

Post by John86045 »

The initial consideration in deciding the right caulking composite is to judge the request. Is it for inside or outside use? What are you annoying to achieve - is it to durable, hide unsightly gaps or blocking drafts? And does the request need some flexibility, durability? There are many formulations on the market, a number of which collection of basic ingredients in dissimilar methods to enhance such uniqueness as cure times, ease of cleanup, durability, and flexibility. There are five general kinds of caulk.
1. Latex
2. Acrylic
3. Butyl
4. Polyurethane
Thanks & regards,

[SPAM SIGNATURE REMOVED BY MODERATOR]
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

The initial consideration in deciding the right caulking composite is to judge the request. Is it for inside or outside use? What are you annoying to achieve - is it to durable, hide unsightly gaps or blocking drafts? And does the request need some flexibility, durability? There are many formulations on the market, a number of which collection of basic ingredients in dissimilar methods to enhance such uniqueness as cure times, ease of cleanup, durability, and flexibility. There are five general kinds of caulk.
1. Latex
2. Acrylic
3. Butyl
4. Polyurethane
You seem to be spamming the forum, which is why your signature was removed. You also don't seem to understand the purpose of caulk in studio construction. The most important aspects of caulk for studios are none of the ones you mention. They are: excellent sealing capacity, high flexibility, non-shrinking, non-cracking, high mass, excellent adhesion to typical materials used on building studios.

- Stuart -