wood stud size

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

fretless

wood stud size

Post by fretless »

there´s always talk about 2x4´s but over here in austria i didn´t see those sizes anywhere which would be appr. 5x10 cm. instead here we have 5x8 cm!

this shouldn´t be a major problem for a 6,6x3,6x3 m room (22x12x10 ft), should it?

fretless
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

In your country they would be called 100mm x 50mm or more probably 95mm x 45mm

cheers
john
AndrewMc

Post by AndrewMc »

fretless - US lumber is actually smaller than the stated dimensions. 2 x 4 studs are in reality 1.5 x 3.5. Your 5 x 8 cm studs are approx 2 x 3.5 - so pretty much the same - just a bit thicker.

You'll have no problem using those, or whatever is close.
Andrew McMaster
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

This is assuming you are NOT talking about ceiling joists or floor joists - for those, there are different calculations needed depending on the span - if that's what you need to know, let us know. I have span limits for most sizes and grades of lumber, but would need to know grade and species as well... Steve
fretless

Post by fretless »

knightfly wrote:This is assuming you are NOT talking about ceiling joists or floor joists - for those, there are different calculations needed depending on the span - if that's what you need to know, let us know. I have span limits for most sizes and grades of lumber, but would need to know grade and species as well... Steve
initially i didn´t mean ceiling joists, but i´d definately like to know the limits, please! :) since the grades of lumber seem to be called a little different here could you please state span limits for structural/grade 1/grade 2 for 2x4 studs and i will check out the corresponding grades over here?! the species :twisted: you get over here is mostly fir/spruce if i understand correctly.

thanks a lot!

fretless