Floating cloud over mic position. Thicknesses and ideas

How to use REW, What is a Bass Trap, a diffuser, the speed of sound, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

JeromyReno

Floating cloud over mic position. Thicknesses and ideas

Post by JeromyReno »

My room is 8’3”, and my mix position is sitting pretty low at 38% of that. Around just over 3 feet, so I have plenty of space above. Would it be a good/safe idea to just go as thick as I can where I will have direct reflections, it looks like 24” can pretty much handle anything broadband. Just make it long enough to go passed my head.

It’s a 8’3”x10x11 ish room. I know I need a lot of treatment and was thinking this would be a good place to add some broad band absorption, the rest of my room is an rfz design. And I have a 24” super chunk in the back celing corner already, and wings in the corners that have a membrane over them to try and only grab the low end. My right and left wings have membrane over the top and bottom but not where the direct reflections are.

Are there any down sides to going too thick?

My room http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 60#p143960
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Re: Floating cloud over mic position. Thicknesses and ideas

Post by Soundman2020 »

I know I need a lot of treatment and was thinking this would be a good place to add some broad band absorption,
Why do you think you'd need broadband absorption on a cloud? Do your speakers have an unusually wide vertical dispersion angle?
the rest of my room is an rfz design.
Ummmm.... you seem to be confused about what an RFZ design is, and how to achieve it. A ceiling cloud is not something that you add to an existing and complete RFZ design because it might be a good place to have broadband absorption. Rather, a ceiling cloud is PART OF the RFZ design. In a rectangular room, if you don't have a cloud then you don't have an RFZ! Sound propagates in all three dimensions, not just two. It goes vertically, as well as horizontally. The cloud is part of the concept of an RFZ room. Either you splay the ceiling and treat it accordingly, or you have a cloud. Without one or the other, you don't have an RFZ room.
and wings in the corners that have a membrane over them to try and only grab the low end.
In your other-other-other thread, there's no signs of any membrane! There's perf panel, but no membrane. Are you confusing the two? Perf panel is not a membrane: it's a tuned treatment device. What frequency did you tune that for? And why did you chose that specific frequency? What problem where you expecting at that location in the room, and at that frequency?

I'm also curious as to why you are posting the projected real acoustic impedance graphs for different types of treatment: What's the purpose of that? Not many people even know how to read a real impedance graph... and those that do would ask for the graph of the imaginary plot, along with the real plot... they go together! :)
My room is 8’3”, and my mix position is sitting pretty low at 38% of that. Around just over 3 feet,
Now I'm curious! Where on earth did you manage to buy a chair that is ten inches shorter than the normal size for chairs? And ditto for the desk: Where did you manage to find a desk that is ten inches lower than a normal desk?

I'd also add that it's going to be VERY uncomfortable trying to mix when sitting down so low. I guess you musty have very short legs, because I'd think that a normal height person would have their knees up under their chin, sitting ten inches lower than normal.

I just tried lowering my seat as low as it would go: it only went down by about 3", not 10", but even so I found it uncomfortable. Have you even tried sitting down that low? Do you think you'll be able to mix like that, for long periods of time, without getting cramps in your legs? Have you looked into the correct ergonomics for workstations?

I'd be really interested as to why you are setting up your chair and desk so low, and also why you are ignoring the normal recommendations and specifications for setting up a control room.

I also noticed that your speakers seem to be mounted way to low in the soffits...

Before going any forther with your build, I'd really, really, REALLY suggest that you should stop for a bit, step back, and check your design: it does NOT seem to be following the right path, and it DOES seem to be ignoring the usual rules of thumb, recommendations, specifications, concepts, and theoretical models, nor the abundant advice on studio design and construction that you can find all over the forum.

It's not adding up very well. There's a lot of red flags waving here...

- Stuart -