Trying to address a null in a relatively small studio. Help?

How to use REW, What is a Bass Trap, a diffuser, the speed of sound, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

CurtZHP

Re: Trying to address a null in a relatively small studio. H

Post by CurtZHP »

Meanwhile, I moved the speakers to where you specified, hung a 4" rockwool panel behind each of them, and ran three new REW graphs (LR, L, and R). Uploaded them to the ftp site.

There's still a dip centered at around 136Hz, but it's definitely narrower than before.
CurtZHP

Post by CurtZHP »

Update: Ordered a Dayton EMM-6 mic. Should arrive within a week.
CurtZHP

Post by CurtZHP »

Update: Dayton EMM-6 arrived late last week. Slight problem... They don't have my mic's calibration file uploaded to their site yet. I contacted tech support, and the guy said they'd have it sorted out in 24-48 hours. Well, here we are well past 48 hours and still no sign of it. So, this project is on hold until they get their poop in a group.
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

They don't have my mic's calibration file uploaded to their site yet. I contacted tech support, and the guy said they'd have it sorted out in 24-48 hours. Well, here we are well past 48 hours and still no sign of it.
No problem. You can still do the tests just like that, without the cal file. It's only used by REW in the way the data is displayed, not the way it is recorded, so you can record to your heart's content, then add the cal file later. Besides, there probably won't be a huge difference in the low end, which is where we are most concerned.

- Stuart -
CurtZHP

Post by CurtZHP »

Soundman2020 wrote:
They don't have my mic's calibration file uploaded to their site yet. I contacted tech support, and the guy said they'd have it sorted out in 24-48 hours. Well, here we are well past 48 hours and still no sign of it.
No problem. You can still do the tests just like that, without the cal file. It's only used by REW in the way the data is displayed, not the way it is recorded, so you can record to your heart's content, then add the cal file later. Besides, there probably won't be a huge difference in the low end, which is where we are most concerned.

- Stuart -

Wouldn't you know it? Right after I told you that, the guy from Dayton tech support emailed me the .cal file!

So, I finally got a chance to do the walking mic test. I've uploaded the files to my ftp site and PM'ed the details.
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

I checked out the data, but there's some issues that need fixing before it is usable.

- Stuart -
CurtZHP

Post by CurtZHP »

Been a few months since I started this, and life got pretty hectic for a while, so it got put on the back-burner.

Looking back over this thread, I'm more intrigued by the idea of a fabric ceiling, and I'd like to explore that a little more. Aside from obviously attaching it to the joists, how does one deal with other obstacles like electrical junction boxes and HVAC registers? I figure, since I don't have enough overhead space to do panels or a cloud to deal with bounce, acoustically opening up the insulation and joists overhead might be a viable alternative.