Soffited Dynaudio BM6A bass port managing

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

casaestudio

Soffited Dynaudio BM6A bass port managing

Post by casaestudio »

Hello to all.

I have a pair of Dynaudio BM6A that I want to infinite baffle on my soffit front wall. So I'm gathering the info I can in order to manage the rear bass port of the speakers correctly... I know this might get tricky but I want to give it a try.

Here are a few things I've read that might be helpful:
IMG_20171019_103809.jpg
1. To plug the rear bass port with foam might help controlling/level lowering the bass response. (does that only apply on a free standing design?)

2. An option would be to extend that bass port to the front. Impedance issues might occur, though. ¿What is the best method to extend it? ¿What material to use?

If the bass port is not extended... ¿what should I do to adapt the soffit to the speaker?

Also, regarding the soffit, I'm planning on placing the monitors on a stand inside but disconnected from the soffit structure: Could I NOT box the monitor and instead place it on Primacoustic Recoil Stabilizers http://www.primacoustic.com/recoils/ ?
RX7f-large.jpg
Thanks!
All in all is all we all are. (All apologies, Nirvana)
casaestudio

Re: Soffited Dynaudio BM6A bass port managing

Post by casaestudio »

Stuart said "So that's the looooooong explanation: You can soffit mount rear-ported speakers, if you do it right. You need to allow for sufficient cooling, but since the power amps only need to run at a lower level due to the power imbalance correction, they will be running cooler anyway. And if the bass reflex port is on the back, you need to damp it, in one way or another (not "plug" it! Just damp it). That's the only difference, as compared to other speakers. The only speakers that you cannot soffit mount, are ones that have extra drivers on the sides, top or bottom.

I used to think that it was impossible to soffit-mount rear ported speakers. Then later I thought it was just a bad idea and really hard to do. But now I know better: it can be done, and it's not that hard, once you understand the issues." (http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewt ... rt#p141183

So, what would be the procedure for damping the bass reflex port?
Also, is the thin long opening in the upper part of the monitor the bass port?

Thanks!
All in all is all we all are. (All apologies, Nirvana)