Treatment of new jam room

How to use REW, What is a Bass Trap, a diffuser, the speed of sound, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

PeteJBB

Treatment of new jam room

Post by PeteJBB »

Hey guys, i've been all over this amazing forum for the last few months while I've been constructing my new band jam space by converting my garage.

I've built a room-in-room setup and the sound proofing has worked out great! So now i'm on to interior treatment and looking for advice.

My room is 6m x 4.2m, with 2.3m high walls on the sides and a peak up to 2.7m. There is a beam running down the centre of the ceiling which the joists are attached to. The door is in one corner and there are 2 square windows on one of the long walls. I'm putting in a wood floor this weekend over the concrete.

Mostly the space will be for jamming/rehearsing but we may do some recording in there at some point. I plan to have a desk against the wall by the door which is where i'll have my monitors and pc set up, so i'd like to have decent treatment for that, but i'm mostly concerned about controlling the sound for rehearsal.

The drum kit will be at the opposite end of the room and then we'll put guitar amps / PA and such around the place...

I've previously built 10 absorption panels from rockwool (roughly 0.5 x 1m) which are in our current jam space, and i'll be moving them into this room. I guess i'll put them on the walls - just need to decide where... maybe hang some from the ceiling??

I also plan to build some bass traps in a similar fashion using the leftover Bradford Soundscreen batts on a wood frame, and put those in the vertical corners.

Think i'm on the right track? I haven't done an REW measurement yet because i don't have the equipment i need. Because of the peaked ceiling, it's hard to find much info on what i should be concerned with... most guides/posts deal with flat ceilings... Obviously it's pretty echoey in there right now, any tips or advice appreciated!