Glass vocal booth door

Find out where to get building materials in your local area. If you find a good outlet post it and others will be able to access it through the search engine.

Moderators: Aaronw, John Sayers

Stixxs

Glass vocal booth door

Post by Stixxs »

Hi all,

I'm looking for suggestions for a vocal booth door, i need a glass one probably double paned, & i'm told metal will be better at sound deterrent (converting a walk-in closet). Opening is 30"...will a standard exterior door do for this, i think not. ;-)

Thanks for any help
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Re: Glass vocal booth door

Post by Soundman2020 »

Hi. Please read the forum rules for posting (click here). You seem to be missing a couple of things! :)

- Stuart -
doreneluque

Post by doreneluque »

see-trhough.
ellington12

Post by ellington12 »

how about just picking up a nice solid core framed door that has good seals. Then make a cutout in it where you need glass and put in some thick laminated glass. If you are bit handy this will work out best pricewise.
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

i don't think so
Why not? High mass and good seals are they key to good isolation doors. Why do you think this would not work?

- Stuart -
Terdsuk

Post by Terdsuk »

see-trhough.
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

Terdsuk wrote:see-trhough.
Yep! Very true. Spammers usually are "see-through". Very transparent. And hence, dead easy to spot. So good-bye Mr. See Through Spammer!

- Stuart -
Martha Bern

Post by Martha Bern »

Do you really think that a glass vocal booth door is the best option? This doesn't seem reliable to me! Maybe, it's better to decide in favor of the metal sound-proof door? What's your opinion about that?
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

Martha Bern wrote:Do you really think that a glass vocal booth door is the best option?
Yes, I really do. I have designed several studios like that.
This doesn't seem reliable to me!
Yes. In what way is laminated glass with acoustic PVB "not reliable"? Please explain. Do you actually have any experience with acoustic glass? I mean, you do claim to be a window and door installer, so one could assume that you do, but from your comments, it's highly doubtful....
Maybe, it's better to decide in favor of the metal sound-proof door?
Why would metal be better than glass for a vocal booth door with a window in it? Most people find it rather hard to see through metal... Only Superman seems to have that capability...
What's your opinion about that?
My opinion is that there are thousands of studios around the world with glass windows in their doors, and none that I know of that use metal windows in their doors. Take a look around the forum, and also on John's own website: http://www.johnlsayers.com How many of those studios do you think are "not reliable"? How many of them do you see where the window is made of metal? :)

On a different topic, my other opinion is that spammer are the lowest form of life on the the planet, just a little lower than amoebas, which actually do serve a useful purpose. (Not that you asked for my opinion on that, but I thought I would give it to you anyway....)

- Stuart -