Xlr / trs wall plates wire nuts?

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

macmanmatty

Xlr / trs wall plates wire nuts?

Post by macmanmatty »

I go tired of trying to solider the in wall stranded wire mic cable to the wall plates in place, so I came up with idea of making jumper wires from solid wire and the soldiering them to the back of the plates. Would wire nuts be acceptable for connecting jumper wires to the in wall mic cables or should I solider or use crimping connections?

Thanks

macmanmatty
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Re: Xlr / trs wall plates wire nuts?

Post by Soundman2020 »

Everything should be soldered. Also, by making solid copper extensions you might be increasing the possibility that interference will get into your system. There's a reason why the connectors are so short: you should get the shielding as close as possible to the connector, so there is only a very small piece of unshielded wire on the hot and cold pins: just a few millimeters, maximum.

- Stuart -
macmanmatty

Post by macmanmatty »

I hope 25.4-38 mm qualifies as a "few mm" as all the jumpers are about 1 - 1 1/2 inches long. Is there anything I can do to shield them? With the trs / xlr combo connectors the pins are in such locations I don't see how you could not have at least 1' of unshielded wire and still solider the cable wires to each pin.
Speedskater

Post by Speedskater »

Well the longer the pig-tail/jumpers are, the more that they are exposed to interference and to lower frequency interference at that. But then, just how much interference is in your walls? Did you use wall boxes? Are they plastic or metal?

In any case, twist the signal wires where you can.
Kevin
macmanmatty

Post by macmanmatty »

all of my wall are double construction 5/8" drywall on the inside 1/2" durrock on the outside. 24" center studs inside 18" center studs on the outside. 6" space inbetween and a 3 1/2" R-13 batt fiberglass on the inside of each wall faced facing on the covered sides of the stud frames. the boxes are blue plastic new work construction boxes (the cheap ones at home depot) and I am using metal 2 gang, triple, quad, and single gang metal wall plates with xlr and trs and dual xlr/ trs male and female connectors. They have 3 22 ga solid wires solidered to them that will them be crimped and soildered solider dripped in and then crimped for a good connetcion to the 20 ga stranded 2 wire mic cable the shield is the ground.
acanais71

Post by acanais71 »

Soundman2020 wrote:Everything should be soldered. Also, by making solid copper extensions you might be increasing the possibility that interference will get into your system. There's a reason why the connectors are so short [...] you should get the shielding as close as possible to the connector, so there is only a very small piece of unshielded wire on the hot and cold pins: just a few millimeters, maximum.

- Stuart -
Thank you for this information. It's really cool to have shared.
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

acanais71 wrote:
Soundman2020 wrote:Everything should be soldered. Also, by making solid copper extensions you might be increasing the possibility that interference will get into your system. There's a reason why the connectors are so short [...] you should get the shielding as close as possible to the connector, so there is only a very small piece of unshielded wire on the hot and cold pins: just a few millimeters, maximum.

- Stuart -
Thank you for this information. It's really cool to have shared.
I think so too! Thanks! But what is NOT cool, is a low-life spammer such as yourself hijacking the thread and plagiarizing the words of others... Did you REALLY think nobody would notice? Did you REALLY think you would escape being banned and blocked, permanently? Silly little boy....

- Stuart -