Advice needed: wiring speaker cable via 2 wallplate passthru

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

Armando

Advice needed: wiring speaker cable via 2 wallplate passthru

Post by Armando »

Hello!

I have an empty "walk-in" closet adjacent to my control room where I'd like to have a 4x12 guitar cab for micing and isolation. The guitar tube amp/s will remain in control room.

I want to install a gangbox in the wall adjoining both rooms and wire speaker jacks and XLR jacks mounted to wallplates.

I want to make sure I do the speaker jacks correctly as not to damage the guitar amp. I think I'd like to do speakon jacks mounted to the wallplates because they lock. Then I'll just use 1/4" TS to Speakon cables for amp to wallplate and wallplate to 4x12 cab.

Is this a completely safe way to connect the amp to cab so the load is always attached or am I missing any important steps? Also any specific speakon jack to use over another?

Thanks in advance!!
infinair

Re: Advice needed: wiring speaker cable via 2 wallplate pass

Post by infinair »

I have no idea! But good lucky to you! :D

[WE KNOW YOU HAVE NO IDEA: IF YOU DID HAVE ANY IDEA AT ALL, YOU WOULDN'T BE A SPAMMER!]

[SPAM DELETED BY MODERATOR, SO GOOD LUCK TO YOU TOO (not) IN YOUR OBLIVION!]
Speedskater

Post by Speedskater »

Speakon connectors lock, so there should be no problems there. The 1/4" TS don't lock, so it's possible to have a problem. Now solid state amps don't care if they have a speaker load or not (a short circuit is another story). Some tube amps don't like not having a speaker connected, when trying to play loud. But there are a countless number of amps/speakers with 1/4" TS and we don't see long lines at the repair shops.
Kevin
Armando

Post by Armando »

Speedskater wrote:Speakon connectors lock, so there should be no problems there. The 1/4" TS don't lock, so it's possible to have a problem. Now solid state amps don't care if they have a speaker load or not (a short circuit is another story). Some tube amps don't like not having a speaker connected, when trying to play loud. But there are a countless number of amps/speakers with 1/4" TS and we don't see long lines at the repair shops.
Thanks for replying! I see speakon plugs/jacks come in both 4-pole and 6-pole versions. Which of these is the "preferred" version for guitar amp to guitar cabinet?
Speedskater

Post by Speedskater »

A pole is the same as a terminal or conductor. Most loudspeakers need a 2 pole connector.
I see 2, 4 & 8 pole connectors.
Kevin
Armando

Post by Armando »

Speedskater wrote:A pole is the same as a terminal or conductor. Most loudspeakers need a 2 pole connector.
I see 2, 4 & 8 pole connectors.
Sorry I meant 8 not 6. I guess 2 pole will do the trick. Thanks again!