Help with Planning & Building of my Recording Studio

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

Soundman2020
Site Admin

Re: Help with Planning & Building of my Recording Studio

Post by Soundman2020 »

they have advised me to go with this isolation bracket for what I am trying to do. This will be a much better suited product for what I'm trying to do.
Right! That's a form of sway brace. Here's another type:
sway-brace-2.gif
Before you buy, look around at different products from different manufacturers, to see which one will work best for your situation. NOT which one is cheaper! Which one is best for the purpose.

- Stuart -
Studio45

Post by Studio45 »

Yes!! There's quite a few of them...so it was hard to figure out what would be best for me. Actually the type you just mentioned is what I was looking at initially...but seems like with my sloped ceilings the one I'm looking to buy would be best suited.

I certainly don't want to cheap out on stuff like this...I don't mind spending a bit more money on things that will make the overall quality of my studio better. As your signature says..."I want this studio to amaze people. 'That'll do' doesn't amaze people" haha. That being said at 8$ a pop...they're not cheap lol

Thanks again!!

Frank
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

"I want this studio to amaze people. 'That'll do' doesn't amaze people" haha. That being said at 8$ a pop...they're not cheap lol
Yup! "amazing" ain't cheap! :)

- Stuart -
Studio45

Post by Studio45 »

Alright!

Sounds like my cousin won't be able to help me out with the construction plans so I've decided to start using Sketchup so that I can best explain what I'm trying to do/build. I'll be posting some pictures as soon as I can have something worth posting haha.

Before I start drafting plans of my walls/floors.etc I do have a few questions regarding decoupling and dampening. I've done some research but can't seem to get a clear answer on what are my best options. Once again I do understand that building a studio above a garage isn't the best option but it's all I have so I'm trying my best to do things right.

Question 1) I'll def be using the double stud wall concept...this is what makes my walls/rooms decoupled from each other correct?

Question 2) I'm framing these double walls on an existing wooden sub-floor (over my garage), it's obvious that my weakest link here is my wooden floor correct?

Question 3) Framing walls directly on top of the sub-floor I'm wondering if I need to do anything special to help/address flanking from one room to another through the floor. I understand that I can add mass to my floor but what about the walls themselves? Would it be a good idea to put some neoprene rubber under at least 1 wall's bottom plate, or maybe both? I have a feeling I'm not understanding this decoupling/dampening thing properly but in theory it seems like a good idea since any noise vibration coming from one room could easily be transmitted to another room through the existing floor. I guess that if I was to add mass (a few layers of 3/4" MDF sandwiched in GG) to my existing sub-floor then use a rubber underlayment and some laminated flooring it would help solve that problem right?

i hope this makes sense :/ ... now going back to the interweb for more research..

Frank,
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

I've decided to start using Sketchup so that I can best explain what I'm trying to do/build. I'll be posting some pictures as soon
Great! :thu:
Before I start drafting plans of my walls/floors.etc I do have a few questions regarding decoupling and dampening. I've done some research but can't seem to get a clear answer on what are my best options.
And before you even get to consider your options, you first need to measure how loud you are, how quiet you need to be, and how much isolation you need. All of those in decibels.
Once again I do understand that building a studio above a garage isn't the best option but it's all I have so I'm trying my best to do things right.
It's fine as long as you realize that you won't get good isolation, unless you are willing to invest a lot of money. The room itself can be great, but it just won't be isolated very well.
Question 1) I'll def be using the double stud wall concept...this is what makes my walls/rooms decoupled from each other correct?
Yes, correct. You already have the garage, so you already have one of the stud walls. You only need to add the second one. You will build a stud frame that does NOT touch any part of the existing building, except the floor. And you will put drywall on only ONE side of that frame.
Question 2) I'm framing these double walls on an existing wooden sub-floor (over my garage), it's obvious that my weakest link here is my wooden floor correct?
Yes. It is the weak link in two different aspects: 1) isolation. 2) Structural integrity. The second one is a big issue, because there is a limit to how much extra load you can place on that floor before it collapses. So you will need to get a qualified structural engineer in to look at that floor, tell you what the maximum live load and dead load are, how much live load and dead load it is supporting right now, and therefore how much extra load you can put on it. That translates into how much total mass (weight) you can add, which defines the maximum isolation you can get. The fist issue above, is also about isolation, but this time it is the isolation that the floor itself provides. It is a single-leaf, and therefor is governed by Mass Law, which isn't very helpful. That implies that your maximum isolation is limited by the floor, regardless of how much extra load it can handle.
Question 3) Framing walls directly on top of the sub-floor I'm wondering if I need to do anything special to help/address flanking from one room to another through the floor.
It would be nice, but you can't. All the walls will be resting on, and firmly attached to, the same floor.
I understand that I can add mass to my floor
Only if the structural engineer says that you can! :) And even then, adding mass to a single leaf floor does not help much. You have to DOUBLE the mass to get a measly increase of 4 or 5 dB.
what about the walls themselves? Would it be a good idea to put some neoprene rubber under at least 1 wall's bottom plate, or maybe both?
It might help a little, but not a huge amount. And you'd have to take great care to ensure that the wall really does float. Lots of math involved in that!
I have a feeling I'm not understanding this decoupling/dampening thing properly but in theory it seems like a good idea since any noise vibration coming from one room could easily be transmitted to another room through the existing floor.
Yes, and it would ALSO be transmitted through the floor directly, regardless of what the walls do! The sound inside the room hits ALL of the boundary surfaces of the room: the walls, the ceiling, and the floor. Since the sound will be getting into the floor like that anyway, and thus into the adjacent rooms, there's not much point in trying to prevent the sound from getting into the walls and taking a longer path, when it already go there in any case!
I guess that if I was to add mass (a few layers of 3/4" MDF sandwiched in GG) to my existing sub-floor
... then it would probably collapse! 3/4" MDF weighs roughly three pounds per square foot. Let's say you added 5 layers of that, it would be 15 PSF. Let's say your floor measures 26' by 28' feet, which is 728 square feet. at 15 PSF, that implies a load of roughly eleven thousand pounds! That approximately the weight of half a dozen Smart cars, or three mid-size cars AND a compact car, or two full-size SUV's, or a box truck fully loaded with fuel, cargo and passengers! Do you really think your floor would be able to hold that? Would you be happy parking several cars or a loaded truck on that floor, then standing under it, in the room below? :)
then use a rubber underlayment and some laminated flooring it would help solve that problem right?
Nope, not really. It would still be a single-leaf floor, and it would already be so heavy that you would probably not be able to add any walls, ceiling, doors, windows, treatment, HVAC, furniture, or gear...

- Stuart -
Studio45

Post by Studio45 »

Once again Stuart, I'm very appreciative of your feedback. I'm going to make sure I follow the right path in doing things.
You first need to measure how loud you are, how quiet you need to be, and how much isolation you need. All of those in decibels.
Ok! I will attempt at taking my own measurements but just to give a general idea I'm positive that drums are going to be the loudest thing in that studio. I'd say when I'm playing hard I'm probably peaking at around around 120dB (hard rim shots and cymbal crashing) but I would probably average it out at 110db. Obviously my kick drum and bass amps are going to be the hardest to isolate since they're in the low frequency range but that's fine.

In terms of the isolation goals I guess the higher the possible with what I have to work with structurally. I'm on a 6 acres property out in the country and the nearest neighbor is about 500ft away so I don't really care so much about the noise I'd be making outside. The control room is where I want to be as isolated as possible (as most control rooms would I'd imagine?)as well as having reasonable isolation to the rest of the house. The studio is located above my garage and I have a 20ft mudroom section in between the garage and the rest of the house. So even thought the garage/studio is attached to the house...it is somewhat separated from the rest of the house (living room/bedrooms).

I do realize that I won't be able to get great isolation because of the location of the studio but I'm wondering what would be possible and realistic to achieve with my current configuration. (without having to remortgage the house hehe). To be clear I am willing to spend some money on making things safe and adding additional support for a heavier floor, but realistically pouring 4-6" of concrete on my floor is not an option. hahaha.

It would be great if I could get some sort of approx. level of isolation that I could achieve.
It's fine as long as you realize that you won't get good isolation, unless you are willing to invest a lot of money. The room itself can be great, but it just won't be isolated very well.
Yep! I get that part. I am willing to invest a decent/reasonable amount of money since most of the labor will be done by myself.
You already have the garage, so you already have one of the stud walls. You only need to add the second one. You will build a stud frame that does NOT touch any part of the existing building, except the floor. And you will put drywall on only ONE side of that frame.
That part I understand!
Floor is the weak link in two different aspects: 1) isolation. 2) Structural integrity. The second one is a big issue, because there is a limit to how much extra load you can place on that floor before it collapses. So you will need to get a qualified structural engineer in to look at that floor, tell you what the maximum live load and dead load are, how much live load and dead load it is supporting right now, and therefore how much extra load you can put on it. That translates into how much total mass (weight) you can add, which defines the maximum isolation you can get. The fist issue above, is also about isolation, but this time it is the isolation that the floor itself provides. It is a single-leaf, and therefor is governed by Mass Law, which isn't very helpful. That implies that your maximum isolation is limited by the floor, regardless of how much extra load it can handle.
Understood!

Since I was heavily involved with the construction of my house I know a lot of the details already but before I list the specs I will say that I'm working with a structural engineer to determine my options in terms of adding additional support to potentially support extra mass.

Based on this http://www.openjoisttriforce.com/docume ... ion-us.pdf My current studio floor is composed of the following:

OJ418 Series Open Joists - 14" high..span is approx 26' and joists are spaced at 16" OC with a glued 5/8 sub-floor on top. (USA - L/480, Glued and nailed, LL: 40 psf, DL: 15 psf)

Maximum Allowed Unfactored Live Load for this particular floor: 48 PSF
It would be nice, but you can't. All the walls will be resting on, and firmly attached to, the same floor.
Ok!
Only if the structural engineer says that you can! :) And even then, adding mass to a single leaf floor does not help much. You have to DOUBLE the mass to get a measly increase of 4 or 5 dB.
Well that sucks haha! I'm confused...I thought having a sub-floor on top and dry wall on the other side make the floor a double leaf?
It might help a little, but not a huge amount. And you'd have to take great care to ensure that the wall really does float. Lots of math involved in that!
Every little bit helps I guess. I started putting together a spreadsheet of the total weight of each walls so that I can properly calculate and compare with the product specs. I do have a lot of that Iso-Sill product at home already so if it can be used then great. I was going to use it for my home theater in my basement but can always order more.
Yes, and it would ALSO be transmitted through the floor directly, regardless of what the walls do! The sound inside the room hits ALL of the boundary surfaces of the room: the walls, the ceiling, and the floor. Since the sound will be getting into the floor like that anyway, and thus into the adjacent rooms, there's not much point in trying to prevent the sound from getting into the walls and taking a longer path, when it already go there in any case!
Right!
... then it would probably collapse! 3/4" MDF weighs roughly three pounds per square foot. Let's say you added 5 layers of that, it would be 15 PSF. Let's say your floor measures 26' by 28' feet, which is 728 square feet. at 15 PSF, that implies a load of roughly eleven thousand pounds! That approximately the weight of half a dozen Smart cars, or three mid-size cars AND a compact car, or two full-size SUV's, or a box truck fully loaded with fuel, cargo and passengers! Do you really think your floor would be able to hold that? Would you be happy parking several cars or a loaded truck on that floor, then standing under it, in the room below? :)
Ok i wasn't thinking 5 layers, more like 2 if the structure can safely take it, but I do understand your point...I need to make sure my floor can safely take whatever I end up putting on top of it. :) I think from the specs of my floor I can do max DL of 15PSF...I'll get confirmation of all this from the engineer. The floor currently doesn't support anything...it's just one big blank unfinished room.
Nope, not really. It would still be a single-leaf floor, and it would already be so heavy that you would probably not be able to add any walls, ceiling, doors, windows, treatment, HVAC, furniture, or gear...
I guess I'll have a better idea of what my options are once I get the final numbers from my engineer.

P.S. I'm doing good progress on Sketchup and I'm almost done with the current layout of the studio. :) Hope to be able to share some time next week.

Again thanks for the feedback!
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

I'm going to make sure I follow the right path in doing things.
Cool! That's good news. :thu:
I'm positive that drums are going to be the loudest thing in that studio. I'd say when I'm playing hard I'm probably peaking at around around 120dB (hard rim shots and cymbal crashing) but I would probably average it out at 110db. Obviously my kick drum and bass amps are going to be the hardest to isolate since they're in the low frequency range
Right. That's all correct, and realistic. When you do measure, make sure that you use a good quality hand-held sound level meter, and set it to "C" and "Slow". But your estimates are about right, for sure.
I don't really care so much about the noise I'd be making outside. The control room is where I want to be as isolated as possible
Unfortunately, it's all the same thing. Different aspects, but still the same. Consider this paradox: If it were possible to have fantastic isolation between the LR and CR, but poor isolation between either of those rooms and the outside world, apart from needing Harry Potter and his magical crew to achieve that, you'd have the impossible situation where a loud noise could leave the poorly isolated LR and arrive in the outside world, yet it would magically not be allowed to get into the poorly isolated CR... :shock: 8) :roll: Ummm.... Ain't gonna happen! If you need good isolation between rooms, then you also need good isolation between the rooms and the outside world. It's a package deal. It would be sort of possible to have the opposite situation: Poor isolation between rooms, but good isolation to the outside world... however, I'm not sure why anybody would want that, and it would be expensive! :)

So whatever number you come up with for your total isolation, will be roughly the same between rooms as it is between either room and the outside world.
I do realize that I won't be able to get great isolation because of the location of the studio but I'm wondering what would be possible and realistic to achieve with my current configuration.
You'd have to do all the math to be sure, but 40 dB isolation is probably realistic (about twice as good as a typical house wall, subjectively), and maybe 50 dB if all the planets happen to align on a sunny day with the wind blowing in the right direction and the moon at exact right angles and a unicorn walks through your studio at the same time, while pixies are sprinkling dust on the walls.... :)
To be clear I am willing to spend some money on making things safe and adding additional support for a heavier floor, but realistically pouring 4-6" of concrete on my floor is not an option. hahaha.
I'll get back to that point shortly, so do hold on to it, mentally!
Maximum Allowed Unfactored Live Load for this particular floor: 48 PSF
OK, that's reasonable but not fantastic. You'll be taking up a large chunk of that with a load that's actually dead load (new walls, ceiling, treatment, etc), but your engineer will probably tell you that this is fine, as long as you then take great care to monitor your REAL live load, as you add furniture, people, gear instruments, and also take into account possible wind loading and other true "live" loads...
Well that sucks haha! I'm confused...I thought having a sub-floor on top and dry wall on the other side make the floor a double leaf?
That would be a coupled two-leaf system, not a true MSM system. It acts more like a single leaf than it does like a two-leaf, although it does have some characteristics of both.
Ok i wasn't thinking 5 layers, more like 2 if the structure can safely take it, but I do understand your point...I need to make sure my floor can safely take whatever I end up putting on top of it. ... I think from the specs of my floor I can do max DL of 15PSF...I'll get confirmation of all this from the engineer. The floor currently doesn't support anything...it's just one big blank unfinished room.
OK, here's where we get back to the "6" concrete slab" comment I promised you above. And this is the part that you won't like too much.... it's also the part that the purveyors of "plywood deck floated on our magic rubber pucks" don't tell you. Here's how it goes...

Here's a graph that explains the problem in simple terms:
resonant-frequency-of-floating-floor-by-mass-and-gap-Graph---GOOD!!!.-S02.jpg
That shows how much mass you need on your floor, and how much air gap you need under it, to get the right resonant frequency. What I mean by "right resonant frequency" is simply the one that will allow your floor to actually isolate! Your floor is a resonant system. It will resonate naturally at a certain frequency that is governed by the mass (weight) of the final floor, and the depth of the air cavity under it. At that frequency, and for one octave above it, the floor will NOT isolate. In fact, not only does it not isolate, it can potentially amplify sounds at that frequency. And because this problem extends to one octave higher, obviously you want your floor's resonant frequency to be at least one octave lower than the lowest frequency you need to isolate. So if you need to isolate kick drums, which are often tuned around 80 Hz, then your floor should be tuned no higher than 40 Hz, which is one octave lower. If you want to isolate bass guitar, which easily goes down to 36 Hz (5 string bass), then you'd need to tune your floor no higher than 18 Hz. Let's assume this is the case, and now we can look at the graph.

The graph shows the frequency up the left hand side. You need something at 18 Hz, so draw an imaginary line across the graph a bit less than 20 Hz. You can now see that no matter how deep your air cavity is, the top two dashed lines are no use: you can never get a low enough frequency if your floor only weighs 5 PSF (pound per square foot) or 10 PSF. Not possible. However, at 30 PSF it is possible (the dotted line, third from the top): it looks like you would need to have an air cavity that is at least 4.5 inches deep, so you can't do it with 2x4's, as they are only 3.5" deep. You'll need to use 2x6's (which are 5.5" deep). Your other option is to go with an even heavier floor: the bottom curve on the graph, labeled 60 psf (solid line, not dashed). With that option, you can get a frequency of 18 Hz. with a cavity about 2" deep, so you could use 2x4s there.

So those are your options: you can build up your floating floor on 2x4s with a 60 PSF floor, or 2x6s with a 30 PSF floor.

So that brings up the question: What would you need to do, to get a 60 PSF floor? Well, let's consider OSB: the density of OSB is roughly 610 kg/m3, which works out to about 3.2 PSF for every inch of thickness. So to get 60 PSF using OSB board, you'd need to make it about 19 inches thick! :shock: In other words, you'd need to have 31 layers of 5/8" OSB on your floor, to get enough mass. :!: But if you wanted to go with the 30 PSF option, you'd "only" need 16 layers of OSB to get there....

As you can see, it is physically impossible to float a light-weight deck consisting of just a couple of sheets of OSB on 2x4 studs. If you did that, the resonant frequency would be around 42 Hz, so the floor would amplify kicks, toms, bass guitar, electric guitar, and keyboards! It would only isolate from about 84 Hz upwards.

So how do you get such a high mass? If you can't do it with OSB, then what do you need? Simple: Concrete. The density of concrete is around 2400 kg/m3, which is roughly 12 PSF for each inch of thickness. So a concrete slab just 3 inches thick (36 PSF) would let you do it with a 3.5" cavity, and if you went up to 5" thick concrete slab, you could do it on a 1.5" air cavity.

That's the plain, hard, cold facts. You cannot float a light-weight deck and expect to get good isolation for low frequencies. The laws of physics prevent it.

Now, all of the above assumes that the "deck" is fully isolated from the underlying subfloor, and that the only "spring" in there, is the air in the cavity. In real life, that is not possible: you need some type of resilient mounting to decouple the deck and hold up the floor! It might be rubber pads, or metal springs, or something else, but there has to be something that disconnects the deck from the subfloor, mechanically. Which makes things worse! That rubber or metal spring works in parallel with the air spring, and that REDUCES the total "springiness". So you actually need a deeper cavity to get the same frequency...

Now for the kicker that really dooms this whole light-weight deck concept: Whatever it is that you use as the spring to decouple the deck (rubber, metal springs, snake oil), you have to ensure that it will will float! If you put too much weight on a spring, then you flatten it out completely, and it is not "springy" any more: it bottoms out, and does not float. On the other hand, if you don't put enough weight on it, it is also not "springy"! It "tops out" and does not float. So you have to ensure that you put the right amount of weight on each spring, such that it has the optimal amount of compression, and really does float. For each type of spring, there are tables and equations that allow you to do that, but for most springs, you need to compress it about 10 to 25% to make it "float". Less that 10% "tops out" and more than 25% "bottoms out" (the actual numbers vary widely, per product).

Great So let's go back to the light-weight deck (pretending that the above graph does not exist, and imagining that it might be possible to magically get the right frequency with just two layers of OSB). We already know that two layers of OSB weighs about 6 pounds per square foot, so let's say we do some calculations for magical rubber pads, made of purest snake oil and pixie dust, and arrive at the conclusion that we need four pads of two square inches each for every square foot of floor, and with a load of 6 PSF, that will float just fine, with exactly 15% compression. Great! Amazing! The floor floats! ... Until you stand on it.... :shock: Assuming you weigh about 180 pounds, and that your weight will be spread across four square feet of floor, just by stepping on that floor you increase the loading from 6 PSF to 51 PSF :shock: Gulp! I think you see where this is going.... You just flattened your rubber pads into oblivion! They are now squashed flat, and don't float.

So you think creatively, and decide that you don't need the floor to float when you are not in the room, it only has to float when you ARE in there, so you re-design it to float when the load is 51 PSF. Fantastic! Wonderful! It floats! .... until you bring in your guitar, amp, a couple of pizzas and a crate of beer... now the load is 65 PSF, and the floor doesn't float....

So you wrack your brains, and re-design the rubber pads yet again, so they float at 65 PSF.... But then you invite your buddy over to join you for a jamming session, and he brings his girlfriend, another amp, more pizza, and a suitcase, since he's going to stay the night.... and now you have a load of 90 PSF....

OK, so I'm exaggerating a bit here, but I can keep on adding scenarios here, such as the desk, chair, couch, your DAW, other gear, etc. etc., ... however, you can see the problem: The load on a light-weight deck varies so enormously that it just is not practical. But with a concrete deck, that has a much, much higher density, this is not a problem. Putting all that extra load on the floor, or taking it off, only changes the total mass by a few percent, and the floor still floats: the springs are still inside their optimal range.

So that's the issue. Floating a light-weight floor is not a viable solution. You need huge mass to float a floor successfully. It is certainly possible to float a floor, and companies like Mason Industries make devices to do that, but it only works with very high mass for the floor deck, such as 3 or 4 inches of solid concrete.

There's another option here, which is even better: build your inner-leaf walls on top of the floor! In that case, the entire room is floated. The calculations for the springs are a bit more complicated like that, but the total floated mass is even greater, so variations from people standing on the floor and moving gear in and out are even lower, as a percentage of the total floated mass. That's a lot more expensive, of course, and more complex, but if you really do have a need for extra high isolation, that's as good as it gets.

However, you'd have to do a lot of math here (which you are already doing! :thu: ) and get your engineer to check it all over to make sure that you'll be within the limits of your floor structure. You might even want to consider "beefing up" your floor structure with additional joists in between the existing ones, or sistered to them, to get you more capacity, and therefore more isolation.
I guess I'll have a better idea of what my options are once I get the final numbers from my engineer.
:thu:
I'm doing good progress on Sketchup and I'm almost done with the current layout of the studio.
Hint: You need to know the Three Magic Chants that you need to repeat over and over with SketchUp to make it work: "Select geometry, Make Component", then "Entity info - Assign to layer", and "Add new scene". These incantations have to be chanted repeatedly at the dead of night while hunched over a steaming hot keyboard, with your glaring-red eyes blurrily gazing unseeingly in the approximate direction of the dimly glowing screen, and the syllables must be muttered softly in an incoherent flat monotone in the key of F#, as your fingers numbly poke at worn-out keys, and you grate the mouse unfeelingly over the same deeply etched time-worn path in the surface of your desk.... :) Repeat, night after night, endlessly, for centuries, and your wish may eventually be granted.... :) :wink:

- Stuart -
Studio45

Post by Studio45 »

Unfortunately, it's all the same thing. Different aspects, but still the same. Consider this paradox: If it were possible to have fantastic isolation between the LR and CR, but poor isolation between either of those rooms and the outside world, apart from needing Harry Potter and his magical crew to achieve that, you'd have the impossible situation where a loud noise could leave the poorly isolated LR and arrive in the outside world, yet it would magically not be allowed to get into the poorly isolated CR... :shock: 8) :roll: Ummm.... Ain't gonna happen! If you need good isolation between rooms, then you also need good isolation between the rooms and the outside world. It's a package deal. It would be sort of possible to have the opposite situation: Poor isolation between rooms, but good isolation to the outside world... however, I'm not sure why anybody would want that, and it would be expensive! :)

So whatever number you come up with for your total isolation, will be roughly the same between rooms as it is between either room and the outside world.
Yeah i guess I was expecting that...it only makes sense.
You'd have to do all the math to be sure, but 40 dB isolation is probably realistic (about twice as good as a typical house wall, subjectively), and maybe 50 dB if all the planets happen to align on a sunny day with the wind blowing in the right direction and the moon at exact right angles and a unicorn walks through your studio at the same time, while pixies are sprinkling dust on the walls.... :)
I see 40dB as a decent number for what I'm trying to achieve. There won't always be loud drum playing. It's going to be mostly acoustic and electric guitar, along with some bass but overall the level can be kept to a reasonable level and def lower than 100dB. The times where drums and really loud playing can be managed. I'm going to keep the 50dB number as a gift from the heavens where pixie dust unicorns haha.
RE: Max Live Load.....OK, that's reasonable but not fantastic. You'll be taking up a large chunk of that with a load that's actually dead load (new walls, ceiling, treatment, etc), but your engineer will probably tell you that this is fine, as long as you then take great care to monitor your REAL live load, as you add furniture, people, gear instruments, and also take into account possible wind loading and other true "live" loads...
Ok so I got some numbers back from the guy who did all my house plans. The actual number is LL 40 PSF and DL 15 PSF. This is not good news but it's still manageable to accomplish something decent I think. The architect is working on giving me a few options in terms of adding structural support and said he would suggest from isolation options as well. That last part I'm not too sure about since I'm positive this guy has never built a recording studio on top of a garage haha so I'll take his advice on the second part with a grain of salt. He did however agree that concrete is the most efficient way to isolate. :)
That would be a coupled two-leaf system, not a true MSM system. It acts more like a single leaf than it does like a two-leaf, although it does have some characteristics of both.
Right!! Ok that makes more sense...I wasn't taking the true MSM into the mix but yeah I got a bit confused. All good now!
OK, here's where we get back to the "6" concrete slab" comment I promised you above. And this is the part that you won't like too much.... it's also the part that the purveyors of "plywood deck floated on our magic rubber pucks" don't tell you. Here's how it goes...
Here's a graph that explains the problem in simple terms:
That's an awesome way to explain and understand! I knew in the back of my mind that concrete was going to come back to hunt me so I can't lie and say that I didn't expect it haha. I've taken the steps already to start figuring out the MAX amount of concrete I can pour in that room with minimal added bracing & support.
So if you need to isolate kick drums, which are often tuned around 80 Hz, then your floor should be tuned no higher than 40 Hz, which is one octave lower. If you want to isolate bass guitar, which easily goes down to 36 Hz (5 string bass), then you'd need to tune your floor no higher than 18 Hz. Let's assume this is the case, and now we can look at the graph.
Right!! I'm thinking that tuning the floor anything below 40 Hz would be a bonus. I think the odd times where a bass would be played loud can also be managed. This all makes a lot more sense to me though. This stuff is gold! :)
The graph shows the frequency up the left hand side. You need something at 18 Hz, so draw an imaginary line across the graph a bit less than 20 Hz. You can now see that no matter how deep your air cavity is, the top two dashed lines are no use: you can never get a low enough frequency if your floor only weighs 5 PSF (pound per square foot) or 10 PSF. Not possible. However, at 30 PSF it is possible (the dotted line, third from the top): it looks like you would need to have an air cavity that is at least 4.5 inches deep, so you can't do it with 2x4's, as they are only 3.5" deep. You'll need to use 2x6's (which are 5.5" deep). Your other option is to go with an even heavier floor: the bottom curve on the graph, labeled 60 psf (solid line, not dashed). With that option, you can get a frequency of 18 Hz. with a cavity about 2" deep, so you could use 2x4s there.
Ok! So I'm thinking if I'm able to do 2.5" of concrete, that could give me around 30 PSF and even at 20 Hz I could float a floor on 2x4s no?
So that's the issue. Floating a light-weight floor is not a viable solution. You need huge mass to float a floor successfully. It is certainly possible to float a floor, and companies like Mason Industries make devices to do that, but it only works with very high mass for the floor deck, such as 3 or 4 inches of solid concrete.

There's another option here, which is even better: build your inner-leaf walls on top of the floor! In that case, the entire room is floated. The calculations for the springs are a bit more complicated like that, but the total floated mass is even greater, so variations from people standing on the floor and moving gear in and out are even lower, as a percentage of the total floated mass. That's a lot more expensive, of course, and more complex, but if you really do have a need for extra high isolation, that's as good as it gets.
I'm a little confused about the first option proposed. Do you mean just a floating floor for each individual room and walls beside the floor? I for sure understand that having all the walls on top of the floating floor would be ideal but is it really worth it vs floating the walls on the original sub-floor? the only reason I say this is because I framed a couple of walls to get a sense of the actual room sizes. They have only been temporarily fastened there and can easily be removed and disassembled but if it's not a big deal it would be great to leave them there. Again if it makes such a big difference then I'll adjust the walls to sit on top of the floating floor.

This also gets me thinking. Could I potentially pour individual slabs for each room instead of one big slab for the perimeter of the entire studio?
However, you'd have to do a lot of math here (which you are already doing! :thu: ) and get your engineer to check it all over to make sure that you'll be within the limits of your floor structure. You might even want to consider "beefing up" your floor structure with additional joists in between the existing ones, or sistered to them, to get you more capacity, and therefore more isolation.
Yep! I'll be waiting on the options from my architecture (who deals with a particular engineer) and will post them once I hear back from them. Should be within the next week or so. That being said, I will take this time to work on some music until I can get back into planning mode before I start doing some more work.
Hint: You need to know the Three Magic Chants that you need to repeat over and over with SketchUp to make it work: "Select geometry, Make Component", then "Entity info - Assign to layer", and "Add new scene". These incantations have to be chanted repeatedly at the dead of night while hunched over a steaming hot keyboard, with your glaring-red eyes blurrily gazing unseeingly in the approximate direction of the dimly glowing screen, and the syllables must be muttered softly in an incoherent flat monotone in the key of F#, as your fingers numbly poke at worn-out keys, and you grate the mouse unfeelingly over the same deeply etched time-worn path in the surface of your desk.... :) Repeat, night after night, endlessly, for centuries, and your wish may eventually be granted.... :) :wink:
Hahaha it was one of the first things I learned in there. Create group and Create component are a pretty common thing lol. It's starting to look good. I've got my HVAC main trunk on there so I can start laying out where I can install the take-offs for the silencers and all that stuff. It's coming along...still hoping to post it up soon.

Cheers!
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

this guy has never built a recording studio on top of a garage haha so I'll take his advice on the second part with a grain of salt.
:thu: :) Architects actually do get a bit of theoretical acoustics during their studies... maybe a dozen hours or so! ( :roll: 8) ) ... and most of that is on architectural acoustics.... The amount of time they get on specifically designing recording studios, is probably somewhere between zero and nothing, but it might even be as high as zip, or even nada! It might even be Zilch! :)
This stuff is gold!
Cool! Glad you agree! John and I do happily also accept donations in gold... preferably in the form of small ingots or large coins... :) :shot:
Ok! So I'm thinking if I'm able to do 2.5" of concrete, that could give me around 30 PSF and even at 20 Hz I could float a floor on 2x4s no?
Theoretically, yes... borderline, but yes. But you don't actually need 2x4's at all! You just need that size air cavity under your slab: 3.5" I just used 2x4's in the above diatribe so as to fit in with the fairy-tale spun by the "rubber puck" people, and show why their faeries are actually demons in disguise.... What you really need under your slab, is not demons or 2x4's, but proper springs and and air. The correct springs, of course! Not just any springs... Mason Industries is one of the companies that makes that type of spring.

Two examples, different types of slab isolation spring:
mason-floating-floor-isolation-jack-and-spring.jpg
However, do take into account that your new slab is only one side of the equation: It's only one leaf of the 2-leaf MSM system. There needs to be another leaf down there too, with decent mass on it: Your existing floor is the other leaf. That one doesn't need to be concrete (although that sure would help!). But it does need to be substantial: At least three, maybe four layers of thick OSB or plywood. Perhaps with Green Glue in between, for good measure. And that floor also needs to have substantial support under it, as you need to lay out the isolation springs at certain points, so each of those points needs to be over a suitable structural base.
Do you mean just a floating floor for each individual room and walls beside the floor?
Right. That's the option for situations where you can't put the walls on the slab, for whatever reason. Of course, it's better if you CAN do that, by far, but sometimes you can't.
This also gets me thinking. Could I potentially pour individual slabs for each room instead of one big slab for the perimeter of the entire studio?
You certainly can, yes! And that would give you the highest possible isolation, since each room would be floated independently.
Yep! I'll be waiting on the options from my architecture (who deals with a particular engineer) and will post them once I hear back from them.
I would also suggest that you talk to the guys at Mason Industries, or one of their competitors, to find out what they think. They make the springs that you need to float your slab. They can do all the calculations for you, and tell you what you'll need in your base structure, how many springs you'll need, what type, where to put them, etc.

- Stuart -
Studio45

Post by Studio45 »

Architects actually do get a bit of theoretical acoustics during their studies... maybe a dozen hours or so! ( :roll: 8) ) ... and most of that is on architectural acoustics.... The amount of time they get on specifically designing recording studios, is probably somewhere between zero and nothing, but it might even be as high as zip, or even nada! It might even be Zilch! :)
haha That's pretty much what I was thinking!
Cool! Glad you agree! John and I do happily also accept donations in gold... preferably in the form of small ingots or large coins...
If I have any gold coins left after my build I'll make sure to send some over. :P
Theoretically, yes... borderline, but yes. But you don't actually need 2x4's at all! You just need that size air cavity under your slab: 3.5" I just used 2x4's in the above diatribe so as to fit in with the fairy-tale spun by the "rubber puck" people, and show why their faeries are actually demons in disguise.... What you really need under your slab, is not demons or 2x4's, but proper springs and and air. The correct springs, of course! Not just any springs... Mason Industries is one of the companies that makes that type of spring.
Ok, I wasn't understanding all this properly but now I get it. After looking at the spring options...I understand how they work and raise the slab. Very very cool stuff!! My only problem now is that after checking the specs off the Mason website...they require a slab with a minimum thickness of 3" so that's both good and bad for me I guess.

This leads me to a question...I think I know the answer but I'll ask anyways. I will do everything i can to float a concrete slab properly but I'm wondering what your thoughts are on light-weight concrete. Since I'm trying to keep the total weight down as best I can..could I potentially use 4" of light-weight concrete to replace say 2" of the regular/commonly used stuff? From what I'm reading the regular stuff is approx 12.5 PSF per 1" and the light-weight stuff is approx 8 PSF per 1". I could get an approx. 32PSF with 4" of light-weight vs 37.5PSF with 3" of the regular stuff. I think I might as well aim for 3" of the regular stuff.
Right. That's the option for situations where you can't put the walls on the slab, for whatever reason. Of course, it's better if you CAN do that, by far, but sometimes you can't.
Ok, if it's better...I'll just put my walls on top of the new slab.
You certainly can, yes! And that would give you the highest possible isolation, since each room would be floated independently.
This is great because it will bring the total weight down a bit since I won't have to pour anything in between the rooms. Plus it would be easier for me to pour one room at a time.
I would also suggest that you talk to the guys at Mason Industries, or one of their competitors, to find out what they think. They make the springs that you need to float your slab. They can do all the calculations for you, and tell you what you'll need in your base structure, how many springs you'll need, what type, where to put them, etc.
Will do!! I've already started looking at all their options and they make some really cool things.

I guess my biggest concern now is to see what's needed to get all that extra weight supported under my floor. I'm curious to see what has to be done to support that new super massive dead load. I'm having a hard time figuring out my dead load requirement based on all this extra weight. One thing for sure is that it'll be heavy...very very heavy.

I've started working on a different sketchup model that shows the new floor structure with a floating slab. I'll try and upload everything together soon.
Studio45

Post by Studio45 »

Just wanted to post a status update. I've been pretty busy these past few weeks so the studio planning had been put aside for a bit.
I'm just getting back into it now and trying to finish the plans on Sketchup. It's taking a bit longer than expected but I'm sure that's not uncommon haha.
Trying to finalize the layout of the studio I had a quick question regarding the design of my control room.

Looking at the pictures I attached at the beginning of the thread there's a sample plan for the layout of my studio. Note that the attached version is just a sample and I know it needs a lot of work but the location/orientation of the rooms will likely stay the same. Now if you look at the control room, in the outer leaf wall there's a 4'x4' window. I really really want to keep that window and have it be functional as well but I'm wondering if that's possible or not.

The goal is to build a floating concrete slab and frame walls for the CR on top of it. Based on previous replies from Stuart, I should be able to use my existing ceiling by decoupling it with Hat Channel and clips. All other walls will be floated on top of the slab.

I'm wondering what I should be doing and how to build the wall that will be in front of the outer wall with the window in it. I'm hoping something can be done to keep the window as is. Worst case scenario, I suppose I can just frame the wall without the window?
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

It's taking a bit longer than expected but I'm sure that's not uncommon haha.
:thu: But it also means you are doing it right. If it were going fast, then you'd almost certainly be doing it WRONG! Take your time, and do it completely, and in detail. That's the only sane way to design a studio!
I really really want to keep that window and have it be functional as well but I'm wondering if that's possible or not.
First question: Why do you want an operable window in a studio? Air movement will be handled by your HVAC system, not by a window that opens. In fact, having just one window that opens is not going to move any air at all!

Second question: How much isolation do you need? An operable window is a weak point for isolation, and since isolation is only as good as the weakest point, you would be placing a limit on how much isolation you can get, if you install an operable window. Not to mention the minor detail that as soon s you open the window, you then have ZERO isolation....
The goal is to build a floating concrete slab and frame walls for the CR on top of it
... and that implies that you need a LOT of isolation! That's the only reason why you'd take that approach. It also implies that you have a very decent budget. Which brings us back to the question: Do you really want to trash your major investment in a floating concrete slab, by putting in an operable window?
Based on previous replies from Stuart, I should be able to use my existing ceiling by decoupling it with Hat Channel and clips.
... assuming that you have enough mass up there, and a large enough air gap, and enough damping, to match the isolation that you'll get from your expensive floated slab.... all of which would be negated if you put in an operable window...
I'm hoping something can be done to keep the window as is.
You can have windows in your room, provided that they are not operable, and provided that they are designed properly, and provided that they are not in the way of any point in the room that would need treatment.

- Stuart -
Studio45

Post by Studio45 »

But it also means you are doing it right. If it were going fast, then you'd almost certainly be doing it WRONG! Take your time, and do it completely, and in detail. That's the only sane way to design a studio!
I'll admit I was quite shocked at all this information I found about building a studio. I figured a few walls a bit more drywall and we're good! haha Anyways, yes I've just accepted that this will take a lot more time than I had hoped for but that's fine, I don't plan on going anywhere and this will just be better for costs as they don't need to happen at once...it'll be a progressive build! hehe
First question: Why do you want an operable window in a studio? Air movement will be handled by your HVAC system, not by a window that opens. In fact, having just one window that opens is not going to move any air at all!
It's not for air movement and I guess it's not so much about it being operable but a lot about having the natural light. Could I seal it, leave it as is and then put in another "special" one in the inner wall?
Second question: How much isolation do you need? An operable window is a weak point for isolation, and since isolation is only as good as the weakest point, you would be placing a limit on how much isolation you can get, if you install an operable window. Not to mention the minor detail that as soon s you open the window, you then have ZERO isolation....
Well...isolation has to be good 40db+ if possible from the rest of the studio but for the outside world...I couldn't care less. I was thinking if I was to frame my inner leaf window frame as close as possible to my outer leaf frame without touching of course and putting some sort special rubber seal in-between both frames. Gah..I guess i'm dreaming thinking this might work? haha too bad because that wall is facing and outside wall and doesn't face the rest of the studio.
... and that implies that you need a LOT of isolation! That's the only reason why you'd take that approach. It also implies that you have a very decent budget. Which brings us back to the question: Do you really want to trash your major investment in a floating concrete slab, by putting in an operable window?
Yeah I see where you're going with this. I just hope I can just seal it and leave it as is and possibly just put another thick glass in my inner leaf wall. I can build all the custom frames so that's not a problem. Again I only care about isolation in the CR, not the outside world, so I'm hoping I can just build a custom frame/window for the CR.
... assuming that you have enough mass up there, and a large enough air gap, and enough damping, to match the isolation that you'll get from your expensive floated slab.... all of which would be negated if you put in an operable window...
The clips will be fasten to 1x3 furring strips which gives a 3/4" gap + clips + hat channel and then I was going to do 2 layers of 5/8" with GG. I'd say the air gap between the enermax panels (seen in the pics in my first few posts) and the drywall would be around 2" to 2.5".
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

I'll admit I was quite shocked at all this information I found about building a studio. I figured a few walls a bit more drywall and we're good! haha
Yep! It's an eye-opener, isn't it? It gets your attention, for sure. If only sound would behave the way we expect it too, intuitively, instead of the way it really does!!! Darn those rules of physics... :)
It's not for air movement and I guess it's not so much about it being operable but a lot about having the natural light.
Cool! Then it should not be a problem. As long as you have it all sealed up, 100% air-tight, and also that there's enough mass in the glass (thick enough), then you can do that.
Could I seal it, leave it as is and then put in another "special" one in the inner wall?
:thu: Exactly. Both panes (the existing outer one, and the new inner one) need to have some decent mass (thickness), so you might need to replace the glass on the existing one with thicker stuff when you seal it up, but apart from that, you have the right idea.
Well...isolation has to be good 40db+ if possible from the rest of the studio but for the outside world...I couldn't care less.
It would be nice if it were possible to separate those two, but in reality they are closely related, not independent. Think of it this way: If you have poor isolation from the CR to the outside world, and poor isolation from the LR to the outside world, then any sound getting OUT of one room through the poor isolation will also be able to get back IN to the other room through the poor isolation.... Ooops! :)

In other words, in order to have good isolation between the rooms, you also must necessarily have good isolation to the outside world.

40 dB isn't that much, by the way. A typical house wall (drywall on either side of 2x4 studs) will get you around 30 dB. And 40 dB isolation means that somebody singing or playing a quiet musical instrument (eg, acoustic guitar) would be clearly audible in the other room. An acoustic guitar can hit around 90 dBC fairly easily, so with 40 dB of isolation, that would be heard at around 50 dBC in the other room.... I'd suggest that you need a lot more than 40 dB isolation. Probably over 50 dB, maybe even shoot for 60.
I was thinking if I was to frame my inner leaf window frame as close as possible to my outer leaf frame
That would be a bad idea! You want your inner leaf as far away as possible form the outer leaf, at all points, not as close as possible! That's the only way you can tune the MSM resonance low enough to get good isolation at low frequencies...
and putting some sort special rubber seal in-between both frames.
... which would probably COUPLE the two frames together, instead of decoupling them, which is what you should be trying to do!
Again I only care about isolation in the CR, not the outside world,
Again, they are inseparable. That's sort of like saying: "I only care about how wet my elbow gets when I'm submerged naked in the swimming pool. I don't care about the rest of me." In reality, ALL of you will be wet: you can't get your elbows wet without also getting the rest of you just as wet. It all goes together. . . .
The clips will be fasten to 1x3 furring strips which gives a 3/4" gap + clips + hat channel and then I was going to do 2 layers of 5/8" with GG.
Immmm... you must have misunderstood something I said... Like that, you'd have a very thin air gap and thus a very high MSM resonant frequency, and thus lousy isolation in the low end of the spectrum.... You need a LARGE air gap, at lest 4" (more if you want good isolation).

- Stuart -
Studio45

Post by Studio45 »

Exactly. Both panes (the existing outer one, and the new inner one) need to have some decent mass (thickness), so you might need to replace the glass on the existing one with thicker stuff when you seal it up, but apart from that, you have the right idea.
I think the window thickness might okay/decent as is. I noticed it's not a double pane window with an air gap. It seems to be just two windows with a glaze/film in the middle but I would think this would act as a single leaf window?
40 dB isn't that much, by the way. A typical house wall (drywall on either side of 2x4 studs) will get you around 30 dB. And 40 dB isolation means that somebody singing or playing a quiet musical instrument (eg, acoustic guitar) would be clearly audible in the other room. An acoustic guitar can hit around 90 dBC fairly easily, so with 40 dB of isolation, that would be heard at around 50 dBC in the other room.... I'd suggest that you need a lot more than 40 dB isolation. Probably over 50 dB, maybe even shoot for 60.
Right! Sorry, I forgot 40db was what I could achieve with my floor as is....I'm sure it would be a lot better with a floating slab.
Immmm... you must have misunderstood something I said... Like that, you'd have a very thin air gap and thus a very high MSM resonant frequency, and thus lousy isolation in the low end of the spectrum.... You need a LARGE air gap, at lest 4" (more if you want good isolation).
Yep I'm confused again hahaha. First, would the mass I'm proposing be okay for ceiling (2 x 5/8"). Second for the air gap, I'm not sure how would I be able to get 4" gap in between my existing ceiling and drywall, unless I use some special ISO hangers? I'm starting to think a new ceiling on top of my floating walls wouldn't be that big of deal as 2x4 are cheaper than specialty brackets and I believe it would also be best for isolation.. I think I would be going this route instead now that I'm sold on the idea of a floating slab.

UPDATED.....

Another thing I'm thinking about is knowing what your thoughts are about potentially only floating a concrete slab for the CR. The only reason I ask is simply because if my architects/engineers come back with bad news in that I can't float all individual slabs without some major reinforce work to be done, I'm trying to put together a few other options. A Plan B sort of thing. I think the CR is the most important room for me isolation wise so if I can float just 1 slab for the control room and have 50-60db isolation I'd be content with that. For the other rooms I thought I could do a damped deck style floor and can focus more on having a good layout and acoustic treatment.
Last edited by Studio45 on Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.