Acoustics for studio w/ vaulted ceiling

How to use REW, What is a Bass Trap, a diffuser, the speed of sound, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

loganjames1

Acoustics for studio w/ vaulted ceiling

Post by loganjames1 »

Hello community!

I'm renting a house from the bassist of Foreigner which has a pre-existing studio space in it. I'm looking to optimize the space as best as possible, specifically speaker placement and room acoustics. It sounds a bit reverby at the moment as there's no absorption in it.

I would like the room to be nice and flat for mixing, I'll also be recording vocals and other instruments in the room and recording live performances. On the other side of the glass doors there's a very flat vocal isolation room already there for perfect vocal mixing.

I've attached a sketch-up I made with dimensions and a few pictures of the studio in its current form. My monitor placement you can see in the sketch-up represented by circles, with the center circle being listening position .. I tried following the triangle recommended on various acoustic references I read.

For room acoustics, I'm planning on corner bass traps in all four corners, panels on the side walls, panels covering the highest point on the ceiling, and panels on the corner that that extends out a few feet above the glass doors.

I'm thinking 4" thick roxul safe n sound panels that I will make myself. Its just way cheaper than 703 so I was planning on making it work...

For the corners, I'm debating between doing a "superchunk" method I found here (http://forum.studiotips.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=535), or just placing regular 4" bass trap panels extending up the height of the corners.

If you could let me know how heavy I will need to cover the corners and angles in this room with panels and/or traps and/or diffusers that would be great! I'm ready to hit home depot, build these things, and be done with it!

Also, will putting curtains in front of the glass doors be sufficient to stop the glass from reflecting sound and ruining acoustics? Are there special curtains I should get?

Any other recommendations welcome!

Thanks