Egress/Ingress window?

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

Eggman

Egress/Ingress window?

Post by Eggman »

Hi All.
I just completed my floating floors. Now I am ready to build my inner walls.
I am constructing a typical two room, double walled basement studio. My wife has been putting the bug in my ear about having no escape from my studio in the event of a fire, earthquake , etc. The fact that it will be isolated sound-wise from the rest of the house increases the danger in some ways.

So...Does anyone have a design or any ideas on a high STC egress window that I can design into my control room? Or any thoughts on a cost effective way of overcoming the risk of being trapped in one's studio?

Thanks

Doug
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Unless you have a way to put a second door in without causing problems, I'd do two things; one, don't put ANYTHING in your studio that can burn - I'm assuming you're using heavy leaves of gypsum (can you say "fire rated wall"?) and I don't remember if you're using steel studs or wood - either way, with two layers of gypsum you have a pretty good fire wall.

I would also recommend keeping at least two fairly good sized fire extinquishers in the studio at all times, and a working smoke detector - if you're tying into the house HVAC, any smoke in the vents would likely trip a detector in the studio as well.

Earthquakes - If the studio's rockin' (and you're NOT), RUN...

Second exits aren't as mandatory in residential construction as they are in commercial, so it's kind of your call unless you're running an (obvious) business - if you feel unsafe without, add an escape hatch - just remember, every openable part of a studio is that much worse isolation, no matter how hard you try otherwise.

IF you decide to add a getaway, just follow the methods already available for sealing doors, etc -

personally, my next facility will be freestanding with large double load-in doors and a separate walk-in sound lock, but not because I'm worried about fire - I'll still have little that's combustible (other than some acoustic treatments) and several fire extinquishers (just in case) - my shell will be Insulated Concrete Form for the outer leaf, and that stuff is Class 4 earthquake rated so that's covered -

When it comes down to it, this is something only you and your wife can decide; I hope I helped clarify it a bit... Steve
Eggman

Post by Eggman »

I guess I am not so much worried about a fire in my studio as I am about s fire starting elsewhere and the house (a 1926 craftsman) burning down around me as I am sitting peacefully in my isolated basement studio. I have walled off the back end of my basement for the studio. The only exit is the staircase on the other end. A fire upstairs or one blocking the staircase would trap me inside my studio. I know any window to the outside will compromise my sound mitigation efforts. It is just wishful thinking that there might be some magic plan out there for a high STC escape window.

Earthquakes, well, I have been through a couple and can't spend too much time worrying. My foundation has been earthquake "proofed" and we have followed the experts recommendations as to securing the h2o heater, etc. I drive to work each day over three questionable bridges and through two tunnels. They will get me before my house falls down.

Anyway, thanks for the help. I bought my studs this evening (steel) and hope to frame this weekend. Pictures soon.

Doug
giles117

Post by giles117 »

Use plenty of rockwool :) and none of the pink stuff.

Check out this video demonstration

Image http://199.202.236.133/french/why_roxul_fire_video.asp#

Image http://199.202.236.133/french/why_roxul_fire_video.asp#

Bryan Giles

Rockwool/Mineral wool made from Slag not the Owens Corning version is very Fire resistant. :)

Roxul mineral wool resists temperatures up to approximately 1,000°C (1832°F). It can act as a fire barrier against the spread of fire and provides valuable extra minutes to save people and property, and reduce environmental damage.
rod gervais

Post by rod gervais »

Doug,

You will need to have smoke detectors in your rooms..... and these need to tie into your house detectors in series.

If any detector goes off - they all go off.

This way - if you're in the studio and the house catches fire - you know it.

Rod
Ignore the man behind the curtain........
giles117

Post by giles117 »

Rod, that is an awesome idea. Is there a site or a company that sells indicators and such. Not sure If I am describing it well. I'd like to incorporate something like that into the basement studio build I am working on.

Bryan Giles

Also any one know of any wireless security video cam systems. I built my room and didnt plan for that. ooops!!!
z60611

Post by z60611 »

One alternative for security cams is a web-cam over ethernet LAN.
Aaronw

Post by Aaronw »

Do you have an alarm system in the house? Most alarm system you can add smoke detectors to, and they are powered from the central unit...NO Batteries!

I currently only have one upstairs and one in the basement, but will be prewiring for the detectors in each room in the basement studio.

:)

Aaron
Innovations

Post by Innovations »

If I remember the building code correctly you are allowed a dead-end corridor of twenty feet (at which point you must either exit or have more than one route to continue out. Whether a room must have two exits depends on the occupancy (size and use of the room). If so the two exits must be at opposite corners of the room. The size at which two exits are required is way bigger than found in any household studio.

If you were thinking about some sort of whole house smoke alarm system what I would recommend is you talk with a home security system contractor who would put together a combined fire/burgular, panic, etc. system. After all if you are going to be running wire all over your house anyway migh as well get all the benefit.

Gypsum and Rock Wool are exceptionaly fireproof, Fiberglass less so.

A potentially huge risk is the furniture and wall treatments. For example putting ordinary untreated foam on the wall is terribly dangerous. Not only does that stuff burn like crasy but it releases tons of poisonous smoke. So be very carefull about the ratings given of what you put on your walls, not just foams but also fabric.
rod gervais

Post by rod gervais »

giles117 wrote:Rod, that is an awesome idea. Is there a site or a company that sells indicators and such. Not sure If I am describing it well. I'd like to incorporate something like that into the basement studio build I am working on.
Home Despot will sell smoke detectors that can be wired in series...... these detectors will use standard power and battery back up.

You should have one at the foot of the basement stairs, in the hall outside of bedrooms (for new construction within the bedrooms as well) and then place one inside of your studio.

They interconnect so if one goes off they all go off.

They aren't all that expensive -- a whole lot cheaper than a life.

As far as wireless security systems:

http://www.homesecuritystore.com/ezStor ... atch_type=

Rod
Ignore the man behind the curtain........
giles117

Post by giles117 »

Thanks Rod. The Wireless Camers are just what I am looking for. And decent prices as well.

Bryan Giles