just a question..

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

JasonFoi

just a question..

Post by JasonFoi »

Would it be possible to soffit mount a pair of KRK VXT8's? The cabinet is curved, so I assume the answer is no, or at least not easily.. What are your thoughts? If soffit mounting is out of the question or too difficult, then would it be best to place them on monitor stands or on top of the meter bridge of my desk?
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Re: just a question..

Post by Soundman2020 »

Would it be possible to soffit mount a pair of KRK VXT8's?
Theoretically, yes! No problem. The issue, as you mentioned, is the curved cabinet shape. If you are skilled at carpentry, you should be able to build a baffle that follows that curve reasonably well, and it would even be OK to have the speaker sticking out a bit (a few mm) if that would make it easier to build. Another option might be to cast the shape in plaster (wrap the speaker in thick plastic, and press it into a tub of plaster or perhaps modeling clay, and use that to cast a cement or concrete insert that could go in the middle of the soffit baffle, just around the speaker and out to a few cm either side.

I have a customer in Canada who did something similar for his Adam A7X speakers, which have complicated angled facets: he cast them in concrete. and that worked out fine. So it can be done.
If soffit mounting is out of the question or too difficult, then would it be best to place them on monitor stands or on top of the meter bridge of my desk?
On stands! NEVER, EVER on the meter bridge. Having speakers on the meter bridge is a huge problem, for so many reasons, including changes to the frequency response in the mid range, reflections off the desk, comb filtering, early sound transmitted through the desk, vibrations, etc. Bad idea. If you can't figure out how to mold something for the speakers to soffit-mount them ()which would be the best option, without any doubt), then the only other option is to put them on stands right up against the front wall, with suitable absorption between the speaker and the wall.

- Stuart -
JasonFoi

Post by JasonFoi »

I'm a bit weary of placing my monitors in a plaster cast..

Could I use a design like Thomas's in the "monitor flush mounting method" thread and then use my router to contour the opening of the bezel? Or would thinning out the bezel edge have adverse effects?

Also, I have a subwoofer as well. Because of the cross over frequency I wouldn't need to use a -6db shelf on my monitors. Correct? Where would I place the sub in relation to the monitors if they're flush mounted? Do I flush mount The sub as well? I only have 0 or 180 degree phase shift.
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

Could I use a design like Thomas's in the "monitor flush mounting method" thread and then use my router to contour the opening of the bezel?
You could do that, yes. Provided that you can find a router bit that matches the contour of the speaker bevel. You'd only have a very small area of thin baffle, right at the edge of the hole, so that would not matter much.
Also, I have a subwoofer as well. Because of the cross over frequency I wouldn't need to use a -6db shelf on my monitors. Correct?
Not necessarily. The cross-over is not a vertical cliff, but a gradual curve, so your speakers could still be putting out significant energy in the low end. Also, the are not very big, so the baffle step curve mid point is going to be a fair way up the scale: You probably will need to roll off some low end. maybe but the full 6 dB, but probably at least a couple.
Where would I place the sub in relation to the monitors if they're flush mounted?
Usually the best place is on the floor close to the front wall, but not centered: off to the left or right quite a bit. You'll need to do some tests once you get to that point, to find the best location, orientation, cross-over frequency, and phase setting. It can take a while....
Do I flush mount The sub as well?
No.
I only have 0 or 180 degree phase shift.
Great! Then you are all set!

- Stuart -