Attic/Loft Room Private Studio - SDR Audio Production

Discuss studios designed and built by others.

Moderators: Aaronw, John Sayers

sdraudioproduction

Attic/Loft Room Private Studio - SDR Audio Production

Post by sdraudioproduction »

Hi Guys

Here is my private studio that I constructed in the attic/loft room of my house in England.
Due to the "one room" design I needed to use the space wisely, and on a limited budget I had to do everything I could myself, (including building the studio desk). I treated one half of the room with about 90% coverage of acoustic foam which I use for the recording area. I made 2 tall standing Gobos which can be used for building a vocal booth, a wall across the studio and for isolation of amps/cabs etc. The other half of the room has about 70% coverage of acoustic foam which is my control room/mixing area.
With Bass traps in each of the corners and the original non symmetrical ceiling it makes a perfect sounding room for both recording and mixing work.

[SPAM LINK REMOVED]

Shaun

[SPAM SIGNATURE REMOVED]
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Re: Attic/Loft Room Private Studio - SDR Audio Production

Post by Soundman2020 »

Hi. Please read the forum rules for posting (click here). You seem to be missing a couple of things! :)

Also, did you have a question? From that photo, there are several things in there that need fixing, but you didn't say which problem you are asking for help with.

For example, all of your acoustic treatment is very thin foam, and there is way too much coverage of the wall and ceiling area: the frequency response is greatly skewed like that, making the room sound dull, lifeless, and somewhat "honky", due over-absorption of the high frequencies and insufficient absorption of the low-mids.

Also, your speakers are mounted incorrectly, and the room lacks sufficient symmetry.
and the original non symmetrical ceiling it makes a perfect sounding room for both recording and mixing work
Non-symmetrical ceiling? That would be a very bad thing, not something that you should boast about! Symmetry is critical for a control room. If the ceiling is not symmetrical, your mixes will not be symmetrical either...

I'd suggest that you do a test of your room using the REW acoustic software, then post the resulting MDAT file here so we can analyze it for you, to determine exactly what is wrong with the room, then we can give you advice on how to fix it and make it usable as a home studio.

- Stuart -
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

Test... (Thread activity test)

UPDATE: November 14, 2015 (three months later...)

It is now pretty clear that this was not actually a thread asking for help with the numerous serious problems that are obviously plaguing that tiny and poorly designed and very badly treated room: Rather, it seems to be plain old spam, trying to promote the studio. (Presumably because business is unsurprisingly scarce...) So the spam links and signature have been removed, and the post has been blocked. Unless the original poster contacts me personally with a credible explanation, that's the way it will stay.

Beware of cheap wanna-be "studio" spammers, like this one... I wouldn't try to record anything is such a room... not even if they paid me!

- Stuart -
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

... and another update, at five months. Still no contact from the original poster. Still presuming he/she was just trying to get a free ride by "advertising" his/her "studio" here. Original poster can get his/her thread unlocked at any time, by contacting me with a Private Message and explaining ...

- Stuart -