Soffit mounting LCR and additional stereo pair?

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

gullfo

Re: Soffit mounting LCR and additional stereo pair?

Post by gullfo »

this arrangement should work. the hangers will be good if you have the space for them. if not, then using light insulation to fill the space (leaving air openings as needed).
Glenn
FriFlo

Post by FriFlo »

Hi guys!
I am close to finishing the mixing rooms front with the flush mounted speakers and two Iso-boxes for PCs. One of the last steps is the ventilation. I am about to buy 6 fans (120-140mm diameter) and a controlling unit to change the speed as it is needed. Since I do not have a straight air path from floor to ceiling (due to the ISO boxes under the speakers) I want to go with fans and not risk testing without them. It will be much easier to do it now and not nearly as expensive as the equipment is, that is being protected from damage.
So, I figured out everything, but I am not sure at this point which ventilation pipes to choose. There are aluminum ones or those white plastic foils held in shape by a spiral of wire available. I hope you know what I mean by that! ;-)
When looking at them I figured the aluminum ones are more durable and stay in place, while the plastic ones could be damaged easier. On the other hand, when tap the aluminum ones you get a sound from them. I suppose, there could be resonances from the speakers that are not welcome in the studio, but assume, these could be tamed by tightly wrapping those pipes with foam. Also, I am not sure how much relevance those resonances would have behind the thick soffit! But I don't wanna take chances here!
What would you recommend?
Frivy-D

Post by Frivy-D »

So can we get the final photos of this build, Mr. Munich?
A lot of people now owning the Neumann KH 310A and the KH 120

I have discovered a design which looks quite interesting that is an open "ported" soffit design. This coming from Lawrence P. Swist.
http://lpswistdesigns.com/Rockbottom.html

The work is not documented anywhere, as I guess this design is not commonly used or available to the public. It seems the porting is more for heat-dissipation of the monitors, but I wonder if done correctly and mathematically, if it wouldn't act as bass-reflex resonance - effectively extending the response of the bass and (hopefully) eliminating the need for pairing a subwoofer onto my mains (KH310A L/R)

(photo's attached)
I have used a roxul//rockwool fabric covered front-wall, and was just going to rip it apart once again, because I have learned my lessons about mass, and wanted to add 2 more layers on top of the OSB where it is alone behind my treatment and on the ceiling.

Why not soffit mount the whole operation? 4 pg's of concerns from you - makes me think otherwise.
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

"Frivy-D", who are you, why are you hijacking another member's thread, and why are you posting decades-old designs and touting them as something new?

For the record, John has been building "ported" soffits for decades, the "ports" are purely for ventilation, and they could not be tuned as bass reflex ports due to the way the soffit works, and the way speakers work.
The work is not documented anywhere, as I guess this design is not commonly used, or available to the public.
It is documented, and it is commonly used, and it is available to the public.
I have used a roxul//rockwool fabric covered front-wall, and was just going to rip it apart once again, because I have learned my lessons about mass, and wanted to add 2 more layers on top of the OSB where it is alone behind my treatment and on the ceiling.
If you need help fixing the problems with your room, please start your own thread about that. From the photos, clearly you DO need help! There are many, many things wrong with that room...

And also please follow the forum rules for posting (click here).

- Stuart -