Help!!

How to use REW, What is a Bass Trap, a diffuser, the speed of sound, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

GeorgetheParrot

Help!!

Post by GeorgetheParrot »

Hi all,,

Well ,,my control room is about 530cm by 365 cm!! Acoustics are horrible!!Im getting a fitted carpet so that should help!!Can anyone suggest a cost effective way for treating this room!!

Cheers
G
AWS

Some Ideas

Post by AWS »

Hi George!

How is the orientation of the control room? I suppost that speakers are toward to the more small wall... and the room is rectangular.

Begining for the volume of the room, it´s a little small. So, I recomend to treat the walls and the ceiling with a mix between Absorption-Diffusion (80%-20%). First, you have to treat your left and right walls, the early reflections (definition: reflections that arrive a minimun of ms later than the the direct sound)

Also, behind the speakers and the corners (bass traps). Maybe you have to use slot resonators.

All this acustics systems works for a specific frequency bandwidht... so, you have to make a Modal Research... to know, what frequencies you have to erradicate.

After that, you look for answers, like Absorption, diffusion, reflection, what range of frequencies, and how many meters.

If you could be more especific with a draw or more data, the high of the room... the procedure will be less dense.

I hope that this helps!

Fernando Musarra
AWS
"Some day, It will over"
GeorgetheParrot

Post by GeorgetheParrot »

Dear Fernando,

Thanks for your reply!!Attached there is a (very lame) drawing of how I want things!!The height is a standard one story!!

Hope this helps!!

Cheers
G
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

If you're still around, here's some more info - part of your room problem is dimensions - you'll have room mode coincidences at 95, 141, 190, some at 282, and another at 353 hZ. Not only (if your ceiling is at US standard height of 8 feet, or 244 cm) are the height and width in a ratio of 2:3, which means that the 2nd harmonic of width is the same as the 3rd harmonic of height, but the length dimension is close enough to a 3:2 ratio of the width to cause similar problems.

Now, you're adding another problem by putting carpet on the floors, which only absorbs highs - this will make the room sound even MORE "boxy" than just having modal frequencies too close together.

In a room of that size and shape, you'd best help it by going with reflective floors and absorption as heavy as you can get on the walls and ceiling. If you can swing it, some slot absorbers tuned to each of the middle two frequencies (190, 282 hZ ) bass traps built into lower corners, and a 2" 703 or 705 "cloud" over the mix desk (at least) would help a lot... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...