canare cable wiring

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

madmuso

canare cable wiring

Post by madmuso »

Hey guys,

been a long time since ive been here. How does life get so busy?

Recently I read an old sound on sound article, the guys were troubleshooting someones studio, particularly the xlr tie lines.
In this article it described that each of the three "cores" had been soldered to the wrong terminal on the xlr fittings. But then they went on to say that because the same mistake had been done on the other, the microphones worked fine. They only discovered this because they were troubleshooting another issue.

This got me thinking about my own tie lines which I made a while back using canare cable. It also got me wondering that apart from the ground, does it matter which terminal the other two cores go to as long as its the same on the other end? Or does it HAVE to be a certain way?

Attached is a photo of my shocking soldering skills (when youre on a tight budget youre on a tight budget).
Its hard to see but pin 1 is top left, pin 2 top right, pin three bottom centre (obviously!).

I dont have any issues at all, signal to noise is excellent, I crank my preamps for my sm7b and theres no noise/issue whatsoever.
So, technically speaking, is my tie line right or wrong?

Thanks,
Speedskater

Re: canare cable wiring

Post by Speedskater »

Electricity is color blind, so the colors only matter to the humans doing the install. But you want to standardize your color code or your next rush repair job will get it wrong.
Kevin