Idea for using glass for soffit mounting in a RFZ room

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

Scavneck

Idea for using glass for soffit mounting in a RFZ room

Post by Scavneck »

I'm currently learning about accoustics and trying to design my future CR that will be located at an empty space in my unfinished house. The space is 4.4mx6m and is 3.35m high (1:1.4:1.9 is the closest golden ratio). The LR is on the other side of the front CR wall.

According to John Sayers and his forum I've read that there should be as much absorption as possible around the speakers in the upper cavity where they are soffit mounted, and that there should be two separate cavities, one for the speakers and one underneath for bass trapping where the sound comes through a 30cm tall gap. But would it be possible to do a hybrid of that in a RFZ room using glass so the visual contact between the rooms is increased? Where should the insulation go since there is no damping right around the speaker now? To the sides, and above the speakers?

Here are some pictures of what I've been trying out in Sketchup for my future RFZ CR having in mind my Geithain RL 901K's and here is my sketchup file: http://www.mediafire.com/download/rgbpv ... R_v1.0.skp
DS_Soffit half JS half glass_front.jpg
DS_Soffit half JS half glass_Back.jpg
Marko
Scavneck

Re: Idea for using glass for soffit mounting in a RFZ room

Post by Scavneck »

John Storyk has an interesting solution here:

http://wsdg.com/projects-items/diante-do-trono/

Aren't the 3 glasses creating a 3 leaf system? Stuart?
Marko
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

Aren't the 3 glasses creating a 3 leaf system? Stuart?
Yes they are, but sometimes a 3-leaf system is the best solution for reasons other than just acoustic. In this case, it looks like they needed the middle leaf for structural reasons, and it also looks neat. Yes, it does complicated things, but there are methods for compensating for the 3-leaf effect.

It is better to do 2-leaf whenever possible, but a properly designed 3-leaf solution can also be done. It just costs more, and uses more materials, but it can be done.

- Stuart -
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

But would it be possible to do a hybrid of that in a RFZ room using glass so the visual contact between the rooms is increased? Where should the insulation go since there is no damping right around the speaker now? To the sides, and above the speakers?
Yes, it would be possible to do that (it has already been done!). There is still a need for damping, and it can be accomplished in several ways.

So yes, it is possible, but it is also not easy to do, and it is very expensive to do. But with good design and a good budget, it can be done.

- Stuart -