What's the cost for an average studio per foot?

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

TML

What's the cost for an average studio per foot?

Post by TML »

Less the gear of course....
Thanks,
Tim
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Tim, it varies all over the map (literally, as well as costwise) - first, could you please update your profile to include a general location? This lets us give more localized answers to questions such as this.

If you click the search link above, then use the string "cost per square foot", (quotes not needed) you'll find a few links to discussion along this line... Steve
TML

Post by TML »

Knightfly-
I'm in Upstate NY. Want to get out of the basement and into a building. Not sure whether to build a 1500 foot structure or find a bulding and change it.
Tim
Aaronw

Post by Aaronw »

Several factors...

New construction, or existing building?
How much is DIY?
Will you be using contractors?
You'll probably have codes and city inspectors fees.
How much ISOLATION do you require? This is what usually decides how much it's going to cost. The more isolation you're trying to achieve, the more in materials, and time.

If you're doing floating floors, double wall construction, sound locks, iso booths, etc, etc, etc...

And w/ building materials being 1 1/2 to 3 times what it was a year ago (or more)... the cost is changing daily. Literally.
TML

Post by TML »

Aaronw-
I'll need double walls, sound locks and Iso's. I'm thinking about a live room, control room...a drum booth and a vocal booth.....an amp closet and a small kitchen area/ lounge.....want at least 14 feet in the live room. Will pobably do most of the finishing work. I'm currently looking at a building that's over 1500 square ft...but it has a 15x30 foot room with a cathedral ceiling on a concrete slab.....the building is about 30x70...new construction...alittle big for my tastes but the price is less than 90 bucks a square foot.....just trying to gauge if I could get a building thrown up...like the one John designed in Texas.......
Tim
Aaronw

Post by Aaronw »

Right now with me doing 100% of the work, it's costing me somewhere between $20-$30 per SF. (and this is a rough figure).

Typical costs for construction (and you may want to check with some contractors locally as geographical area's are different) can run anywhere from $125 SF to $300 SF. That's usually construction from the ground up. All the materials, labor, etc, etc...

If this is a commercial facility, you will have to deal w/ contractors to have permits pulled, inspections, etc.
Riad

Post by Riad »

I've done most of the work myself. However, I did sub out the sheetrock, electric. plumbing and A/C, all in I'm at about $40 sq/ft.