Earth Loop / Chirruping Noise / Help!

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

Jamie

Earth Loop / Chirruping Noise / Help!

Post by Jamie »

Hi,

My setup is as follows:

1 live room with 16 feeds through inc. returns to a "control room" with Mackie 1642VLZ desk into amp & monitors.

If I connect everybody through mics & XLRs to the desk that is fine.

However if I connect a bassist through a SansAmp DI box to the desk, a chirruping noise appears on the desk. Pressing the ground Connect switch to disconnect ground removes it in the control room, but makes it appear in the live room amp instead?!

Manageable or so I thought. Until I tried to record 2 acoustic guitars using Fishman pre-amps, direct into the desk within the control room, and the chirruping sound appeared again. Regardless of using DI boxes with ground float / lift it would not disappear.

Does anybody have any hints as to how I can fix this? Tearing my hair out here!

Jamie
giles117

Post by giles117 »

And all your equipment is sharing a common ground and a common Neutral?
Bryan Giles

FOH Live, Live Remote & Studio Engineer
Producer

Just living life and having fun with all this talent YHWH Elohim has given me.
Aaronw

Post by Aaronw »

Does your DI have a fresh battery? Is it powered by Phantom power? Are you giving it both battery & DI power?

Check your grounds. Also, try different cables. Maybe one's shorted out.
Betsy

Post by Betsy »

Maybe not the prolem buy my electrician dropped the energy company ground and installed one in the ground connected to a 10' rod underground.
giles117

Post by giles117 »

Let us know if it has improved.
Bryan Giles

FOH Live, Live Remote & Studio Engineer
Producer

Just living life and having fun with all this talent YHWH Elohim has given me.

Post by Guest »

Hi Guys,

No my electricity is probably on more than one earth. I have the building for 2 years after which I will purpose build.

So my cures have ended up being preventative rather than curative.

The use of a humbucking pickup in the guitar improves things.

Aside from that I can't cure acoustic guitars on pickups. But there we go, you can record that anywhere.

Any problems created when linking live room amps to the control room mixer are solved by lifting the earth on the amp concerned and letting it find its ground through the shield wire on the cables so it shares earth with the mixer.

All metal casings have been voltage-tested and I made a couple special kettle leads with skulls'n'crossbones on 'em and put in power breakers.

Well, it works....

Jamie
royaltoon55

Re: Earth Loop / Chirruping Noise / Help!

Post by royaltoon55 »

is it ever coming together! I just saw a few new links that I gotten over the years with great difficulty and then proceeded to foget about the work getting them.

Great resource just getting better and better!
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Re: Earth Loop / Chirruping Noise / Help!

Post by Soundman2020 »

royaltoon55 wrote:is it ever coming together! I just saw a few new links that I gotten over the years with great difficulty and then proceeded to foget about the work getting them.

Great resource just getting better and better!

And you are commenting on a thread that is nearly ELEVEN YEARS OLD, because.... ? :?: :shock:

- Stuart -