Please Help DIY Monitor stands

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

pavelsx1

Please Help DIY Monitor stands

Post by pavelsx1 »

Hi everyone, this is my first post.
Digging a forum for couple of days. Tons of info!!!
After reading this http://www.recordingmag.com/resources/r ... l/317.html
and watching some pictures like this
dinotte-studio1.jpg
Decided to make a stands with the ABS tube with sand inside and the fiberglass insulation around the tube like on the picture above.
Two round wooden plates will be attached to the tube and glued to the fiberglass
Can anybody comment this idea?

-Pavel-
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Re: Please Help DIY Monitor stands

Post by Soundman2020 »

Hi "pavelsx1". Please read the forum rules for posting (click here). You seem to be missing a couple of things! :)

What you show is one way of doing stands, yes. There are other ways too. As long as the stand is very massive (heavy) and strong, an d you have some way of decoupling the speaker from the stand, and it is built so that the acoustic axis of the speaker ends up at 1.2 meters above the floor, then it should be OK. Some people stack bricks, some make their stands from metal filled with sand, some even do concrete.

Those are the major issues: it has to be as heavy as possible, the right height, and decoupled.

- Stuart -
pavelsx1

Post by pavelsx1 »

Thanks for your answer, Stuart. I want my stands be massive plus i want them to be a sound absorbers or even a bass traps. Is this a good idea? And how it can be done correctly?
I also would like to treat my room in near future, but first i decided to start with monitor stands and finding the best listening position.
By the way i have a pair of Focal solo 6be and a Sub6. Do i need to decouple the sub and the floor?
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

I want my stands be massive plus i want them to be a sound absorbers or even a bass traps.
You could wrap them with thick OC-703, then nice looking fabric over that. That wouldn't do much for bass trapping, since there won't be that much area or volume, and it won't be in the right location in the room, but it would still be useful for adding some general broadband absorption to the room.
first i decided to start with monitor stands and finding the best listening position.
Sounds good. If you provide the dimensions of the room, then we can give you a good idea of the best theoretical starting point for playing around with speaker and mix position locations.

Of course, if you really wanted your speakers and room to sound the best they possibly can, then soffit mount them. That also allows you to use the entire area below the speaker as bass trapping... Your speakers are front-ported and can be soffit mounted, so it's worth thinking about...
Do i need to decouple the sub and the floor?
Depends on the floor. If it is concrete, stone, ceramic tile, or something rigid and massive like that, then it probably isn't necessary. If it is something resonant, such as a wooden floor, then yes, it would be a good idea to decouple.

- Stuart -
addr128

Post by addr128 »

Nicely explained Stuart...