HELP quick question

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

tmay4

HELP quick question

Post by tmay4 »

I have rented a building that I want to put a studio in. The buikding is framed in concrete blocks. Attached to the block is 2X4's and than a layer of sheetrock. I have been reading on this forum about airgaps and all. Is there anything else that I need to do to the wall to acoustically fixed the sound. I am not really worrying about isolation for neighbors, but just have less worries for an acoustical standpoint. THanks
rod gervais

Post by rod gervais »

I am not really worrying about isolation for neighbors, but just have less worries for an acoustical standpoint.
That being the case you should be fine.

If isolation was an issue you could have some issues........ but the way it works is basically this - the more you do to create isolation - the more issues you create acoustically.......

Less isolation means more bass escaping the space - and this helps a lot from an acoustic point of view.

Rod
Ignore the man behind the curtain........
tmay4

Post by tmay4 »

SO are yo saying that the way iam going now, i would be okay from an acoustical standpoint. Would this environment be friendly to produce accurate mixes. You say it help with bass, but what about mids and high, is there anything else i should do
rod gervais

Post by rod gervais »

You are still going to have to treat the rom acoustically - mid high and low bass traps, early reflections, etc. (not my area of expertise) - it's just that the amount of treatments you are going to require will be less with less isolation.

Rod
Ignore the man behind the curtain........
tmay4

Post by tmay4 »

THANKS