grounding resilient channel?

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

macmanmatty

grounding resilient channel?

Post by macmanmatty »

should I run a ground wire to each piece of resilient channel (for safety and RFI)? and If yes how would it be best to connect the ground wire to it?
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Re: grounding resilient channel?

Post by Soundman2020 »

Not necessary, except maybe if you have electrical wiring touching or very close to the RC.

- Stuart -
macmanmatty

Post by macmanmatty »

I I kinda though it wasn't necessary but since i can ground it now easliy would grounding it help against RFI or other induced frequencies / hums into speakers / audio cables kind of like a Faraday Cage?
Speedskater

Post by Speedskater »

It's not easy to build an RFI shielded room. Notice that portable radios play just fine inside a car.
Kevin
macmanmatty

Post by macmanmatty »

but cars have chassis ground that never sees the earth homes have an earth connection. That is why RF can get into cars easily and not a concrete house with rebar sticking into the ground.
Speedskater

Post by Speedskater »

In a word - no.

It's a common misunderstanding in all areas of electricity and electronics the Mother Earth acts as a sump or sink for all types of noise and interference currents.

Henry W. Ott has an 850 page book that explains it better.
"Electromagnetic Compatibility Engineering"
http://www.hottconsultants.com/EMCE_boo ... _book.html
http://www.hottconsultants.com/

Jim Brown as about 50 papers that explain it better.
http://www.audiosystemsgroup.com/publish.htm
Kevin
macmanmatty

Post by macmanmatty »

On a similar question one of my circuits when I tested it for continuity with my amprob multi-meter beeped as if their were continuity but I did NOT have the hot and neutral twisted together ( How I check for continuity before the power gets connected) Then I finally realized after numerous hours of trying figure where the short was that it only beeped for 5 seconds and figured out after talking to my friend who is the best electrician in the northwest panhandle of florida, it was a phantom 7v caused by some electromagnetic field. My question is will this field potentially cause any problems to my audio signals in a properly grounded isolated ground system especially with the in wall xlr runs 20 ga standard outdoor high quality mic cable?
Speedskater

Post by Speedskater »

The phantom voltage that electricians talk about is a very different thing than a mic pre-amp phantom voltage. What happens is when you have a long wire that's not connected to a circuit and then measure it's AC voltage with a modern DMM meter it will show a voltage. But the minute that you connect that wire to a circuit the phantom voltage disappears. So no, it won't cause any signal problems.
Kevin
macmanmatty

Post by macmanmatty »

but why then is there enough phantom voltage to give continuity for 5 seconds and have none most things read phantom voltage still won't pass a continuity test unless there is continuity
Speedskater

Post by Speedskater »

It's AC noise that the AC meter is reading, it's not stored like a capacitor, it's new noise every power line cycle. Although it can store a DC static charge just like a tiny capacitor.

The DMM meter input impedance is 10 to 100 Meg-ohm or more. So the DMM is drawing about zero current and the long wire is just an antenna. If you just clip a resistor Say 1K or 100K or whatever) across the Red & Black probe leads while you make the measurement the phantom voltage will disappear.
Kevin