Studio Furniture and Rack Plans - Post 'em HERE...

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

carsten_d

Re: Studio Furniture and Rack Plans - Post 'em HERE...

Post by carsten_d »

hey Nolan W,

do you know one of skyline?
this desk looks really cool in reality ;)

greetings,
carsten
Nolan W

Post by Nolan W »

carsten_d wrote:hey Nolan W,

do you know one of skyline?
this desk looks really cool in reality ;)

greetings,
carsten
I imagine it does!

I've only seen pics of it online, but it looks like a great facility, and that desk, with that SPL MMC 1 and the Fairman gear, etc., I bet it sounds as good in there as it looks!
I like cheese.
cadesignr

Post by cadesignr »

Warning. Long post.

Well, I just found this thread and thought I'd share my latest console mod "plan" with whoever is interested.

Hi everyone. Well, someone asked for ideas for isolating computers in a studio environment. I couldn't find the thread, so I thought I'd post "my" solution as an alternative to standard vertical computer configurations with axial fans.

Ok, at the risk of receiving a bunch of rolling eyes, here is what I did for my own little home studio control room. However, a little explanation may be in order.

First, this is an enclosure that resides under my mixer in a DIY console that has evolved over 15 years, and has received many many mod's for equipment upgrades. When I first built this enclosure, the only computers available were good ole P4's, which didn't require as much cooling capacity as current Intel CPUs etc.

Recently, I was able to aquire the components to upgrade both of my computers to i7/x58 platforms with upgraded /memory/PSU's and GPU's cards. One of my computers is a Graphics Rendering/Folding computer, that will run 24/7.

Unfortunately, after assembling one with a i7-975 and testing it, I discovered the CPU' temperature was close to its maximum running temp..even with a high end CPU cooler and 5 fans. Well, since I had researched Computer cases to find one that allowed the height for a high end cooler, I discovered a Thermaltake Sonata case size was perfect for modding into a rack mount. However, since the case would be horizontal, and enclosed, the side panel vent that allowed air to be pulled in by the CPU cooler, would now be useless. So, I decided to see exactly what I had to do to provide a continuous supply of rapidly moving air, yet remain substantially quiet. After a brief research on Axial fans, I had an idea to utilize a couple of Crossflow squirrel cage fans, in a Negative airpressure configuration. Since these fans run at 3000 rpm, I was sure they would suck enough air from the supply vents to cool everything. It was only a matter of the physical layout of existing enclosure components the determined the actual location of the fans.

As I only had 2 or 3 options, I finally decided to reverse the normal air intake from the front, to the rear of the case. This allowed airflow through most of the components...at least in theory. But, DIY stuff is always that way anyway...so what the hell. Ok, second thing is the access to the HD's. I decided that since I was going to use EXTERNAL DVD drives under my wrist pad, and since I like to see the status LED's on the motherboard, I could simply remove the plastic fronts on the Thermaltake cases, and mod the front framing so only 3 HD's needed support. This meant I could remove all the existing drive cages, and reconfigure a custom solution for 3 HD's in a horizontal position, leaving the rest of the front open, and space for air movement via the Crossflow fan below. It didn't matter the front was open as I already had 2 Smoked Plex doors with seals anyway. But I still had to work out the air supply ducts and exhaust manifolds, After a few days working in Sketchup, it finally was done. So, here is the idea for what its worth. Btw, I got 2 heavy duty Crossflow fans on ebay for $15!! Everything else is DIY using materials in my shop.

Here is an old pic of my existing console with the enclosure below before modifications. I think the rest is self explanatory, but ask if you want to know something. Anyway, hope this gives an idea to other people. There's always more than one way to skin a cat.

Oh, this will take more than one post, as I believe the bbs only allows ten images per post.(I could be wrong)So bear with me.

more to come.
alright, breaks over , back on your heads......
cadesignr

Post by cadesignr »

Here's some more.

cadesignr

Post by cadesignr »

And the rest....

Here is the enclosure within the console frame context.

The optical drives are in the wristpad support modules.

Well, that's my solution, and I'm sticking to it! :D

Cheers!

fitZ
cadesignr

Post by cadesignr »

Hi MunchkinBrando. Well here's the deal. I'm in the process of modding the computer cases as we speak. I just received the HD' cases I bought on ebay, although they're not the same ones I drew in the model. Although I would have liked to use the Vantecs...damn are they expensive. Would have cost almost $400 for six of them. I ended up buying 6 little "drawer" like enclosures for HD's that fit in a DVD drive cage. Got em for $15 for all on ebay. BIG difference. And really, I'm not planning on removing HD's all the time so no big deal. I'm still configuing the actual cage installation. I removed both of the existing cages and am modifying them for relocation and axis. I'll post a pic once I have them installed.

As to the vibrations, I just did a little more on the Crossflow fan location and opening so I can mount these fans in the ductwork below, on carpet foam decoupling pads. Like this

Of course, I see more issues/solutions when I actually build. The final design is in the actual build details. As to the case fans, the whole case will be supported via a decoupled tray that is supported by the drawer guides. The case rests on foam pads as well. At least that's the plan at the moment.
topdiggy2

Post by topdiggy2 »

Hey guys -

I know this is a old post, but, here is my dual Mackie D8b + 10U 19" rack mixing console I just finished...well, its been done for a few months but im just now getting around to loading it up! I also built a midi table desk that i will be adding two table top modular synths units to.

My mixing console plans can be modified to fit any size console really, or one mixer + 2 10u racks if you prefer.

I havent taken the time to work up a cut sheet or anything, but, i did post it in another forum for D8b users, i dont know if linking is allowed here but PM me and i will give you a link for the step by step instructions.

If you have any questions, feel free to email or PM anytime.

Thanks

Post in another forum with step by step instructions
http://www.d8bforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1202

My dropbox links for the pics
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0tdw1oypwchb ... Cv8XwoT_6a

Now, if i can just get some help optimizing my acoustics, ill be in business!!!
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

Hi there "topdiggy2". Please read the forum rules for posting (click here). You seem to be missing a couple of things! :)

- Stuart -
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

I noticed that this thread had become a magnet for spam, so I just spend a few minutes cleaning it up and getting rid of the spammers.

So it is open once again for all forum members to post their own designs and the results of their hard work building desks, racks, and other studio furniture.

Also, as you can see from the posts by cadesigner just a few posts up, it is VERY important to follow the forum rules for attaching images: All of those images are gone, since they were linked to an off-forum location that no longer exists. So those posts are basically useless. PLEASE make sure you upload all images directly to the forum itself, where they will always be available to all members.

- Stuart -
colin_dorward

Post by colin_dorward »

Here is a simple rackstand made for my for my standup studio. I make electronic music so this now houses synths, fx, sequencers, etc.
Obviously is ass ugly, but after a month of use, I feel I got the angles just right!
Process was simply to trace the design onto a plywood, the cut it out with a skill saw. The rails are salvaged from a server rack and cut up with a hacksaw to fit the custom lengths.
To arrive at the shape, in the first place, I leaned pieces of wood up against a wall and pretended to push buttons and turn knobs, to try to figure out what angles would work at what heights.
Bradwer1

Post by Bradwer1 »

The shavano link looks pretty good, except for a slight error at the beginning - standard single unit rack space is 1-3/4", not 1-7/8" as stated... Steve. pubg mobile lite