Installing wall plates

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

DaleH

Installing wall plates

Post by DaleH »

I need to get XLRs and 1/4 cables through the wall between my tracking room and control room, and I want to install wall plates to do it. Is a product like this what I need?
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdet ... -304&DID=7

How difficult will connecting the two plates on each side of the wall be? I have very little wiring experience.

Also, what does "ganged" mean in the context of these wall plates?
giles117

Post by giles117 »

Ganging in this context means that there are 3 plates put togetner to make this one long plate.

A standard single plat has 2 XLR's with respect to how this company sells it's wall plates.

Bryan Giles

Be sure you seal the openings in the wall well (use acoustical sealant.)
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Also, if possible put the plate on one side of the wall at least one, preferably two stud cavities offset - this lets the insulation help absorb any sound leaks. You'll need a bit longer wires, but it's worth it... Steve
DaleH

Post by DaleH »

What kind of wire would I need to get? Would the installation involve soldering?
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

The type of wire would depend on the # of circuits you need - you can either get 2 conductor shielded pairs, one for each circuit, or multi-conductor with individual shielded twisted pair (more difficult to find locally though) -

Yes, the install would involve soldering - it's not that hard to learn, here's a recent link with some pointers -

http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=10545

Hope that helps - I posted a "small pamphlet" on the subject a couple years ago on another BBS, but couldn't find it last week. Maybe I need to re-generate one for here, probably wouldn't hurt... Steve