Killatone questions

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

fallenmunk

Killatone questions

Post by fallenmunk »

I'm planning on building a pair of the Killatones but the FE127E has been discontinued. I don't want to pay extra for the FX120's and was wondering if anyone has tried the FE126En? It is the same housing and cone as the FE127E except it has a slightly bigger magnet. I've read reviews that say the high end is a bit harsher and lacks the body that the FE127E has, but this might be compensated by a series resistor to raise the Q. I don't know enough about speakers to know what that means as far as what value resistor to choose, or how it would implement with the existing Killatone circuit.

Was also noticing that the Killatone schematic specifies four 8 ohm resistors and was wondering if there is any reason why I can't use two 16 ohm resistors instead?

Thanks in advance for any help on this.
gullfo

Re: Killatone questions

Post by gullfo »

here's a place which might still have the 127 in stock
http://www.planet10-hifi.com/FE12xeN.html
i think the reason for two 8 ohm resistors is finding a 16 ohm resistor... most available are only 15 ohm or 18 ohm.
Glenn
fallenmunk

Post by fallenmunk »

Thanks for the planet10 link.

I think I might try the FE126En and do some mods to tame the upper frequency harshness. I'll post a build thread once I get going.

Madisound has Eagle 16 ohm resistors. :)

Mike
fallenmunk

Post by fallenmunk »

FWIW, Madisound has informed me of a new driver to be released in a few months that looks promising for the Killatone. It is the Fostex FF125WK.

Any comments from speaker pros welcomed. :)
insideout

Post by insideout »

fallenmunk wrote:FWIW, Madisound has informed me of a new driver to be released in a few months that looks promising for the Killatone. It is the Fostex FF125WK.

Any comments from speaker pros welcomed. :)
I see these are available now. Anyone tried them or have an informed opinion as a repalcement for the FE127en in killatones?
-Mike
drumslinger

Post by drumslinger »

I've been searching several forums for several days only because I came across the Killatone thread on JSP. Has anyone recently constructed a pair of the Killatones and if so, what is the speaker of choice now since the FE127E and Pioneer A11EC80-02F are no longer made, the Malin L69AW is not available in the US and they won't ship to the US if ordered. I have the boxes ready to go, just need the speaker.

Thanks,

DS