CR window?

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

planet red

CR window?

Post by planet red »

So my place is getting close to done and have to figure out exactly what to do with my window...

I have the whole thing framed and ready to go, i just have to order the glass. I cant seem to find laminated glass that comes thicker then 3/8ths of an inch. Should I just go ahead and get plate glass or would 3/8 laminate work well for one of the sides? I could then get a 1/2" peice of plate glass for the other side.

The walls of the main room are just staggered stud walls with a layer of 5/8" sheetrock on both sides and the inside has an additional layer of celotex and another layer of 1/2" so i know the walls wont be perfectly soundproofed so theres no point in going overkill with the glass. Just something thatll have about the same STC as my walls. What do you guys reccommend?
Sen

Post by Sen »

hi planet red,
i reckon the 3/8 laminated would be ok in the combinaton you mentioned
:)
Kind regards
Sen
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Sen's right - calculations show that if you use the 3/8 glass on the lighter side of your wall, and the 1/2" on the heavier side (the one with the extra wallboard) the glass will equal your wall performance - this is assuming 200 mm air gap for the wall and 170 mm air gap for the glass... Steve