ceiling in my room within a room

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

bigerock

Post by bigerock »

z60611, please read my above post that explains all my room info. also, this is being used for drums, not piano. the piano is there because it was the only musical instrument in the drawing software. :)

to sum up, the room is concrete sub floor, 2x6 celing studs with insulation, and 2x6 exterior walls with insulation in the garage, with stucco on the outside. all walls and ceilings are surrounded with 5/8" drywall (sheet rock).

z60611

Post by z60611 »

bigerock

I don't know very much about drums and what frequencies and impact noise they produce. Without that information I won't be able to apply the algorithm I mentioned above. Basically I need to know what the noise source is, before I can figure out how to stop it.

BTW, sorry about missing that post of yours in the middle. I read the first one and a couple in the middle and the last few.
cadesignr

Post by cadesignr »

Hello bigerock, I too am sorry about buttin' in on your thread. I was just trying to help illustrate what Steve was talking about, and got carried away. Just the same, I figured if your walls arn't correct, then no amount of ceiling correctness will help anyway. BTW, is this a duplex? Sounds like it. I tried to do something similar in a duplex once.......arrrrggggrrrrrrrrrrr :twisted: :roll: Hope you have better luck than I. Of course, I didn't have resources like this fine forum and Steve......YEA STEVE!! Your a godsend for people like me. Thanks a million.

fitZ
alright, breaks over , back on your heads......
bigerock

Post by bigerock »

no problem for butting in on my thread. it's helpful to get more ideas from everyone.

im not in a duplex, it's a 2400 sq foot single level home, with a nice big yard. my neighbors are about 15 feet or more on each side of my house.

i can't really do anything like what that black drawing shows for 2 reasons. 1) i can't seal off the one wall because there's a circuit breaker there that runs the whole house. i have to keep space away from that wall (the one with the door running into the house) so that i can still get to the circuit breaker. 2) wouldn't that be a bad idea to tie into the existing walls, because wouldn't the reverberation be more likely to stretch into the rest of the house? since it's sharing the same wall.

perhaps i need to post more pictures and drawings to get more feedback.

so far, it looks like my best bet is something similar to the black drawing, but without terminating on the existing walls.
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Bigerock, read the sticky's on "complete section", as well as the one on "floated floors" - there's more than just floor info there, some is applicable to your situation.

Cadesigner (Rick) showed you the correct way to get the best isolation you can get - any time you have more than two centers of mass between you and the noise (or vice versa) you LOSE performance. You want ALL the mass in your walls to be in only two places, with only one air/insulation gap between them. So, for a double framed wall (best isolation of any framing method) you would only have wallboard (several layers) on the inside of the inner frame, and the outside of the outer frame. Where the outer frame is the outside wall, you would use OSB and siding, etc, for your mass - then, the inner mass can be multi-layer gypsum.

Most of this is covered in the Sticky section at the top of this forum.

Z, the original comment was in regards to ceiling joists; my answer was in that vein. Span tables for ceiling joists don't even LIST 2x2's...

Big, on your question about leaves - check this out -

http://www.domesticsoundproofing.co.uk/tloss.htm

scroll to the very bottom of the page, and check out the graphic showing different wall constructions -

Note that the 33, 36, 57 and 63 STC walls are all double leaf walls - the 50 dB wall is a triple leaf, and the 40 dB wall is a quad leaf wall (4 different places where wallboard is placed, with air space between)

Also note that the EXACT same amount of material is used in the 40 dB wall as in the 63 dB wall - the only difference is WHERE it's placed. Also note that every time you REMOVE material that has created an extra leaf, you IMPROVE the wall's performance. These are all tested designs, not smoke and mirrors. This one graphic is probably the best argument for proper construction on the web... Steve