1st post: Iso Booth for Voice over work

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

swpowe

1st post: Iso Booth for Voice over work

Post by swpowe »

I've spent some time reading other posts, found some great information but i wanted to also start my own post...
I'm needing to (on a small budget of course) either construct or purchase a booth for doing voice over work. I'm wanting to know what option may be the best. I'm in an office building that isn't too noisy but can be none the less. Should I build of buy? Thoughts...
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

With the info available here, you can build a booth that's pretty soundproof for around $1000 to $2000 - for around $6000 you can buy one that's portable, and almost as soundproof. Both would be large enough for two vocalists and a guitar (only two people, so one would be playing the guitar)

Anything you do with PVC pipe, moving blankets, old mattresses, etc, will NOT be as soundproof by far. Any claims to the contrary are made by people who think loss of treble means no noise - they're wrong. The ONLY thing that works for sound isolation is mass, with air/insulation and more mass. Nothing more, nothing less... Steve
giles117

Post by giles117 »

And those whisperooms suck. I know of a guy who has one installed in his home built studio. he has to keep his monitors extra low when tracking.

Just my limited experience with them.

For 2 Grand you will have an AWESOME booth. :)

Depending on your regions material costs.

Bryan Giles
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

OK, Bry, I was being nice - I was NOT impressed with their isolation specs, even for the "enhanced" version, which would be the ONLY version I'd ever consider (and only if I HAD to have the portability and take-down feature) -

Is your bud's booth the standard, or the extra isolation version? Steve