where to put my bass traps, diffusers

How to use REW, What is a Bass Trap, a diffuser, the speed of sound, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

miks

where to put my bass traps, diffusers

Post by miks »

Hey all im about to build my small studio and i know i will have heaps of flutter and echo. It is hard to put in bass traps and diffusers as there are a lot of windows and the room is quite rectangular.

Ive shown a drawing of where id assume id put these items. Could someone please tell me if my design work work at all, or if theres a better way of doing things. Thank you

Additional info: 1. I would like the recording room to be kind of live with wooden floors.

2. The ceiling height is 3.175m. ( it can be flat or in any shape, not sure which is better)
" the amps are like, living in clip"
Ethan Winer

Re: where to put my bass traps, diffusers

Post by Ethan Winer »

Miks,

First, turn down the volume so your amps aren't clipping! :D

> Ive shown a drawing of where id assume id put these items. <

What kind of bass traps are you considering? Rigid fiberglass panels work well when straddling the room corners. But some other designs work differently. So first you need to decide what type of bass traps you want.

--Ethan
miks

Post by miks »

hey ethan,

im thinking of a rigid fibreglass bass traps (because thats the only one i know about) :oops: what other kind would work in a boxy room like this? and what about adsorbers/diffusers?
Ethan Winer

Post by Ethan Winer »

Miks,

> im thinking of a rigid fibreglass bass traps <

Those make the most sense for a room that size. Basically you want thick, dense rigid fiberglass panels. Put them across all the room corners, including the ceiling corners. You may need a few more flat on the walls, but mostly it's the corners you need to consider.

--Ethan
miks

Post by miks »

thanks ethan,
what shape ceiling should i have? Flat or rigid? And are the absorbers in the right spot? What type of absorber will i need?
Ethan Winer

Post by Ethan Winer »

Miks,

> what shape ceiling should i have? <

I'm not much of a studio designer, so hopefully others here can give you some advice on that.

--Ethan
linus

Post by linus »

Ethan;

If I were to use rigid fiberglass panels across corners should I glue them to panels of plywood or MDF or (other material?) or is it better to just have them on their own?
Ethan Winer

Post by Ethan Winer »

Linus,

> should I glue them to panels of plywood or MDF <

No, that will reflect low frequencies instead of letting them pass through, and so will negate some of the benefit of the air gap inherent in a corner.

--Ethan