ceiling and floor *?*

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

guitarguy

ceiling and floor *?*

Post by guitarguy »

Hopefully someone will be able to help with my questions here. I'm clueless what will work right for proper isolation. I've provided a picture to show what I'm working with.

1st off the floor. We're working with a concrete floor. There is nothing below the floor except earth. Me and one of my partners are going back and forth on the whether or not to sub-floor the floor. One fear is that if the concrete is uneven so will the wall creating flanking problems. We've considered the possibility of channeling into the concrete for the wall.
Would making sure the wall was even against the concrete be enough, or would we need to put in sub-flooring to properly eliminate sound flanking issues with a solid concrete floor?

Next- The ceiling in this place is a huge concern in this place. Above the studio is a transmission shop. Fortunatly we are towards the back so most noise isn't close enough to be heard, but any noise created above the ceiling comes through. Which leaves us with two options

1. Don't record till the transmission shop is closed for business. ( I hate this idea)

2. Make a ceiling that sound will not penetrate through.

Now if we were to build the ceiling off of the steel beams that support the ceiling wouldn't any sounds created from the ceiling still travel through the new ceiling. Or would we have to build a completely new ceiling that would hang below the steel beams. Or more likely than hang be supported by the walls of the studio.

Thanks for any help or recommendations anyone may have.

Also, could anyone tell me what type of ceiling structure is being used for Vapor Studios. It's one of the studios on the site, under designed studios.

thanks
"Genius is one per cent inspiration and ninety-nine per cent perspiration. Accordingly, a 'genius' is often merely a talented person who has done all of his or her homework." - Thomas Edison
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Sounds like a complete room-in-room would work best here, with your ceiling bearing on your own, inner, floated walls - looks like you might have the headroom for that... Steve