Tannoy Ardens concentric speakers for main studio monitors

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

Gregdx7

Tannoy Ardens concentric speakers for main studio monitors

Post by Gregdx7 »

Hello All, I am getting ready to begin construction on a small studio that will be the other half of a 1 car garage. Studio space will be approximately 16' x 28' with a planned peaked ceiling approximately 11' or so.

I came across a vintage set of 1975 Tannoy Ardens speakers that I want to mount on the Control Room wall for main monitors and wanted some thoughts from anyone that may have an opinion on these as Studio monitors. I have enjoyed them in my small project studio in a bedroom, but this will be a quite different setup.

Also, would it be correct to mount them flush with the cantered walls? They are ported in the front.

Anyway, they are described by Tannoy as follows:

Suitable for mid-field or main monitoring, the System 15 DMT II is a versatile and powerful monitor offering the performance of Tannoy's 15" point-source Dual Concentric drive unit. This drive unit offers a phase-coherent point-source wavefront for accurate imaging and soundstage, whether mixing for two or multi-channel formats.

The monitor is capable of high sound pressure levels without compression and remains non-fatiguing, even over extended listening periods. The crossover is split into separate high and low frequency sections to minimize component interaction and can be bi-amplified if required. Crossover components were chosen to minimize distortions caused by component saturation. The 15" drive utilized in the System 15 DMT II is part of the latest generation of Dual Concentric units designed by Tannoy, a range of drivers that incorporate a dual magnet assembly, a "tulip" high frequency waveguide and an injection molded polypropylene low frequency cone.

Like all System Series enclosures, the System15 DMT II uses comprehensive internal bracing to reduce panel resonance, and rounded baffle edges to minimize high frequency diffraction effects.

Key Features

• Mid field or main studio reference monitor for recording studios and post-production
• 15" Dual Concentric driver creates a coherent wavefront that is consistant both on and off axis
• Monitor system for facilities where the main requirement is for high performance and natural sound reproduction
• Works equally well for two channel and surround sound applications
• High power handling with high output

Any thoughts appreciated.

Greg
Cubase 7, PC Win 7, 12 gigs ram, i7, Hammond C-3 with 147 Leslie, Tascam DM-4800.
John Sayers
Site Admin

Re: Tannoy Ardens concentric speakers for main studio monito

Post by John Sayers »

Greg - I cut my teeth on Tannoy dual concentric speakers. Initially on the red series and later the gold, which I think these are. provided the foam surrounds are Ok and the cones correctly aligned they should sound wonderful especially soffit mounted. I'd bi-amp them if they were mine and I'd experiment in raising the crossover frequency from 850hz to 1.2khz so the horn is doing less work at it's low end. Remember speakers in those days rolled off from 10khz - to 15khz by 6 db.
John Sayers Productions

If this site helps you build your studio please use the Donate button.
Gregdx7

Post by Gregdx7 »

John,
Thanks so much for the comments, I'll have to look into mounting them in the soffet as you suggest. As I get a little closer to beginning my studio build, I will post specs and photos.
Cubase 7, PC Win 7, 12 gigs ram, i7, Hammond C-3 with 147 Leslie, Tascam DM-4800.
Gregdx7

Post by Gregdx7 »

John,
I am thinking of using a Bryston 4B amplifier with the Tannoy Ardens speakers and I have a Tascam DM-4800 digital mixer. Would you consider this a good matchup and is a preamp necessary for the Bryston?
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

The Bryston would be perfect. :) No preamp required.
John Sayers Productions

If this site helps you build your studio please use the Donate button.
Gregdx7

Post by Gregdx7 »

Thanks John! That's probably the way I will go.